Question Question regarding my SSD

Feb 24, 2024
Question about my SSD

Hey all,

Im kinda at a los here so im asking you guys with more knowledge for help.

So bit of context here:

Couple of months ago i noticed on of my sata ssd's behaving weird.The ssd in question here is the gigabyte gstfs31100tnd 1 TB.Games that usually load in 4 to 5 seconds started to get more and more load times.God of war 2018 which was loading after 4 seconds got to a load time of 20 seconds.

Now mind you the increase in load times didnt happen all of a sudden but it increased few seconds per weeks(I noticed it).

Other games also have increased load times.

I also noticed that the disk usage during those loadings in is spiking and ranging from 90 to 100%.

The weird part is that after the first load in the game if i launch the game a second time it loads the usuall fast way that i was used to.

I also did a test,i installed those games on my different ssd and these issues were not pressent,only on the problematic one they were there.

All the tests i did on the ssd show a healthy result.
Did a chkdsk,crystalldisk info and mark tests etc etc and all of those show a healthy ssd.
Crystaldisk info shows 95% and 20tb written,which is fine since i had the ssd for almost 4 years.The ssd itself is rated at around 300tb written lifetime.

Now the weird part is that the issue dissapeared once i did a windows reinstallation.

The first time i noticed this was few months ago,then i did a os reinstallation and the problem went away and now it starts to appear again.
Both times the issue started was around 2 months into the new windows install.

Does anyone have a explaination to this?
Is my ssd dying or what is going on?

Specs are: asus b550 e gaming mobo,32 gb ram kingston fury beast,ryzen 7 5700x,rtx 4070,asus rog strix 850g psu.

Feb 24, 2024
I would suspect a software issue.

Malware, perhaps?
Hey,
I dont believe it's malware since the pc is used only for gaming and watching movies.
I do no pirating or similar,all my games are on steam.
I also dont really tweak anything in the OS at all,i keep thr OS as barebones as possible.
You mentioned a softwate issue which i also kinda think to be the most likely culprit since the issue went away when i reinstalled the OS.

The only thing i dont understand is why this starts at around 2 months after the os is intalled and not instantly and why only that drive.
I have 3 other ssds and they show no problems like the gigabyte one..

Feb 24, 2024
How full is this drive?

Please give us a full parts list of the system. Make/model of everything.
The drive is around 55% full,i go by the rule that it should not exceed 70%.
The full specs are:
Motherboard- Asus rog strix b550 e gaming wifi
Ram-32 gb 3600mhz kingston fury beast CL 18
Cpu-Ryzen 7 5700x with Cpu cooler noctua nh12us.
Gpu-Rtx 4070 gigabyte windforce oc
Psu-Asus rog strix 850 gold
Drives-Samsung 980 nvme 256gb(Used only for the OS),samsung 970 evo plus nvme 1tb(used for games),Gigabyte gstfs31100tnd sata 3 1tb(The problematic drive and also used for games),and a kingston a400 which i use for backup,photos etc.
Pc case- be quiet pure base 500 Fx

Bios is up to date,as are chipset drivers,gpu etc.

The drive is around 55% full,i go by the rule that it should not exceed 70%.
The full specs are:
Motherboard- Asus rog strix b550 e gaming wifi
Ram-32 gb 3600mhz kingston fury beast CL 18
Cpu-Ryzen 7 5700x with Cpu cooler noctua nh12us.
Gpu-Rtx 4070 gigabyte windforce oc
Psu-Asus rog strix 850 gold
Drives-Samsung 980 nvme 256gb(Used only for the OS),samsung 970 evo plus nvme 1tb(used for games),Gigabyte gstfs31100tnd sata 3 1tb(The problematic drive and also used for games),and a kingston a400 which i use for backup,photos etc.
Pc case- be quiet pure base 500 Fx

Bios is up to date,as are chipset drivers,gpu etc.
At the ssd unplug the data cable from the gigabyte and plug it into the kingston take the kingston cable and plug it into the gigabyte see if it makes a diff.

Feb 24, 2024
Do you have the optimize app set up proper for all these ssd's?
You mean if trim is enabled on the drives? Yes it is,and the status on all of the ssds says "OK"
Maybe this is somwhow software related? Why would the problem go away when i reinstall windows but appear 2,3 months later again? Really weird