Nov 14, 2020
Can anyone tell me what the retail price this video card would be brand new? I think i may have gotten ripped off...i couldnt upload it in my question in the forum so i posted it as my profile picture. Its a 6g GTX980Ti

Solution
I think everyone is answering a slightly different question because the original is a bit odd.

There is no retail price for a "new 980 Ti" in 2020 any more than there is a retail cost for a new 2008 Honda Civic. There are prices for used 980 Tis, in secondary markets, typically not retail outlets and there are prices for new GPUs that perform roughly similarly to a 980 Ti.

A new 1660 Ti trades blows with a 980 Ti (I'd argue the former a skosh slower) and can be found for $250 to $280. A 2060 is faster, but not by a massive amount, and can be found in the $330-$370 range. A 5600 XT is a bit faster and can be found from $260 to $300.

I'd probably say that for a theoretical new 980 Ti, you should be paying around $260...
Can anyone tell me what the retail price this video card would be brand new? I think i may have gotten ripped off...i couldnt upload it in my question in the forum so i posted it as my profile picture. Its a 6g GTX980Ti

What it cost when it was new does not really matter, the cost you want to look at is what it costs now compared to other cards of that speed that are available, then take into account older tech, more power used and possibly warranty issues since the card was released a while ago. Compare to nVidia 1070, 1660 Super, AMD 5600 XT, so about $300 or what you can find them for used prices. For buying what is now a 2 generation old card, even if it was new, it would have to be like $250 for me to even think about getting a new 980Ti now. I bought a used GTX 1070 for about $200 recently, I would buy one of those over a new 980Ti.

If you got ripped off by buying one, no way to know without knowing what you paid for it, but you need to look at the pricing before you buy it not after in any case.

RealBeast

Titan
The MSRP for that card is around $650. You can find it online (Newegg) for around $570. Unlike @RealBeast, I was unable to find any of those, New, on Ebay.

-Wolf sends
Really? With a search for 980ti 6GB new I see at least 6 different sources, although none are MSI -- I see Zotac, ASUS, and EVGA. THIS is one or THIS are examples at $300 plus variable shipping charges.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think everyone is answering a slightly different question because the original is a bit odd.

There is no retail price for a "new 980 Ti" in 2020 any more than there is a retail cost for a new 2008 Honda Civic. There are prices for used 980 Tis, in secondary markets, typically not retail outlets and there are prices for new GPUs that perform roughly similarly to a 980 Ti.

A new 1660 Ti trades blows with a 980 Ti (I'd argue the former a skosh slower) and can be found for $250 to $280. A 2060 is faster, but not by a massive amount, and can be found in the $330-$370 range. A 5600 XT is a bit faster and can be found from $260 to $300.

I'd probably say that for a theoretical new 980 Ti, you should be paying around $260 for it to make any sense. After all, it's an older GPU, so even a theoretically new 980 Ti would have worse long-term driver support and it's going to miss out on native ray-tracing which the 2060 would have (and was enabled awkwardly for the 1660 Ti). So let's call it a nice even $250.

It's not a new 980 Ti, it's a used one. So you really need to chop a third off for your risk; it's not a rare GPU or one with special features nor is it a level of performance that's hard to get on the market; 1660 Tis and 2060s and 5600 XTs are child's play to find. So I'd say that the 980 Ti would have to be $170 or less for interest to make sense in most situations. Even just chopping off a quarter leaves you just under $190.

I don't know how much you paid for your 980 Ti used -- quite the shocking omission in a question in which you're asking if you got a good deal --but given the prices the used ones are going for on eBay, which are above $190, a used 980 Ti is just a really poor GPU target right now.

Solution
Technically, it's possible to buy a "new" 980 Ti if it's "new old stock", as in something that's been sitting in storage or on a store's shelves for the several years since it was manufactured. You would be buying the card new, it just wouldn't be a new model.

I agree that a current-generation graphics card near $300 would perform a bit better though, and one near $250 would perform fairly similar. That is, in US dollars in the US. In other regions, pricing might be different, and it's possible those cards could cost more.