Questions about building my PC

i_hate_alienware

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I have about $750 to work with. I want something to game with, so I was going to build a micro sized tower (don't have a lot of space). However, for the same price I can get an MSI laptop with better specs than what I can afford. Any advice?

Solution
Absolutely. The mobile i5's (ie in the laptop) are clocked at lower speeds, although they turbo pretty well.
Laptops have additional concerns re: heat, so can't run at full temps/speeds etc due to limited cooling options.

The mobile i7 is a quad core with hyper-threading (so 8 threads). Those additional threads wouldn't be utilized in games today, so the quad core (no HT) desktop CPU would be the better option - more performance, only what you need (oposed to paying for the HT you won't need, and a lower clocked CPU).

The R9 380 is a better performer than the GTX 960 (in a desktop class), even moreso over downclocked mobile versions of the 960 - again, laptops are dealing with heat/temps & limited cooling options.

Another benefit...

i_hate_alienware

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

1. Micro ATX.
2. The issue was that the laptop has an i7 5700hq as well as a nVidia GTX 960m. That being said, I don't think I can get a fifth gen i7 and a GTX 900 series for the same price, inclusive of all the other stuff I need for building.
3. No, not including that. $750 is just for the tower itself, or the laptop

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kcV3f7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kcV3f7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.75 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 380 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($48.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.86 @ Amazon)
Other: case quebed ($60.00)
Total: $729.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-31 13:23 EDT-0400

i_hate_alienware

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016

Thank you, I'll definitely look into this. My only question is, will this perform better than the laptop?

with laptops issue is heat. most gaming laptops people have to use cooling pads..even then some of them lock up. also laptop gpu used for power saving/over frame rates..also thermal and power limits that they have to meet. desktop gpu dont. have thermal limits set as laptop cards do. with a desktop uses standard parts...if the build has to last you a few years you can replace a bad part by yourself...if a laptop system board goes south...if it out of warranty you have to pay a fee for someone to replace it for you.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Absolutely. The mobile i5's (ie in the laptop) are clocked at lower speeds, although they turbo pretty well.
Laptops have additional concerns re: heat, so can't run at full temps/speeds etc due to limited cooling options.

The mobile i7 is a quad core with hyper-threading (so 8 threads). Those additional threads wouldn't be utilized in games today, so the quad core (no HT) desktop CPU would be the better option - more performance, only what you need (oposed to paying for the HT you won't need, and a lower clocked CPU).

The R9 380 is a better performer than the GTX 960 (in a desktop class), even moreso over downclocked mobile versions of the 960 - again, laptops are dealing with heat/temps & limited cooling options.

Another benefit of the desktop, is the CPU will outlast the GPU - you can easily upgrade the GPU in a desktop, whereas you'd need to buy a whole new laptop in future (~$200 maybe for a decent GPU or ~$1,000 again for a new laptop).

Solution