Question Questions about fan headers for two boards.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
So I am building an office PC and I am looking for a good board to pair with my i5-13600K. I am considering a Gigabyte and a MSI board. but I don't understand the fan headers:

Gigabyte: (Link to Manual)

gigabyte.jpg

MSI: (Link to Manual)

MSI.jpg

Questions:

- For the Gigabyte board, CPU_FAN/SYS_FAN1/SYS_FAN2A are PWM and they have the sense function(they can report the fan RPM)....but SYS_FAN2B does not have sense control ? how is this possible ?

- For the MSI board, CPU_FAN1 and PUMP_FAN1 are PWM but SYS_FAN1-6 are voltage controlled ?

- Can I connect my case fans to CPU_OPT or SYS_FAN3_PUMP with the Gigabyte board ? ( I use an air cooler).

- Do you recommend an expensive z790 board for my i5-13600K or a cheap one ? expensive ones are more durable ?

Lutfij

Titan
Reading anything about the 13th Gen from Intel always makes my heart sink due to what Intel have been keeping hidden for a long while. That being said,

1| Very likely that the board piggy backs off the headers that do have sense on them and then emulates the RPM/voltage to the other headers, is what my logic tells me. Akin to a PWM splitter.

3| Yes, pretty much any fans to those headers.

4| You mentioned this;
So I am building an office PC
What does your office work entail? List of apps would be helpful, without an etc in that line. Yu invested onto an Intel 13th Gen processor, that's a bad idea in general.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I am also doing a 14900K build....this is my work/office build.

0| I think I am going with the Gigabyte board since it has PWM SYS_FANs with sense functions.

1| For my office build I want to connect 2x PWM CPU cooler fans to CPU_FAN(2-to-1 splitter) and 6x Arctic P12 PWM PST (daisy-chainable) to SYS_FAN1. (Gigabyte board) I will get PWM and sense for both of these headers, can you confirm ?

2| The MSI board's SYS_FAN headers are all voltage controlled, so I drop it.

3| true.

4| My office work build will run the following: Chrome with lots of tabs open, Latex editor , Sagemath, Mathematica, Duckstation, PCSX2, Dolphin, Xemu, RPCS3 and Xenia. I will also play some older games on it.

Since I am also doing a 14900K gaming rig, I wanted to go with a cheap CPU that's why I chose i5-13600K.

Is the Gigabyte board adequate or should I go with a more expensive board ? Are more expensive boards more durable ?