Question Questions about Mopria

kenwood850

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
I have reviewed the mopria.org website, including the FAQs, and find there is quite a bit of confusion on my part. Perhaps someone here who is familiar with Mopria can straighten me out by answering these questions.

1. The mopria.org website talks about it being a service and some Canon printer descriptions indicate that an Internet connection is required to use that particular printer. Both of those facts imply Internet might be a requirement, but I could not find anything that actually said Internet is required on the website. As a result my first question is, once you have your printer up and running using Mopria, do you still need an Internet connection, or can you use the printer on an air-gapped private network?

2. The website seems to indicate that Mopria will only work on wireless networks. I am not sure why the medium for the packets, wired Ethernet or Wi-Fi, would make a difference, but assuming that is correct, do both the computer and the printer have to be wireless, or can only the printer be using Wi-Fi?

3. Some Canon printers that indicate they support Mopria have a disclaimer that also indicates that Windows 11 operation is only guaranteed for pre-installed Windows 11. I am making a big assumption here that this disclaimer has something to do with Mopria, If that is the case, are the Dells et al. of the world adding something to Windows 11 that supports Mopria that you do not get with a user installed Windows 11? If so what is it, and can it be added to a white box Windows 11 PC.

Thanks.