Questions about USB 3.0 Ports on an HP H8-1010T

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Okay, I recently bought the computer referenced in the thread header and I am having trouble getting the optional USB 3.0 ports that I had put it in it to work. I have no USB 3.0 devices so I tried plugging a USB 2.0 device (specifically the wireless receiver for a Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000) into it.

It appears to instantaneously power on and then power off without the operating system realizing that it was ever connected.

Now, I thought that USB 2.0 devices were supposed to be able to be plugged into USB 3.0 ports..... or am I mistaken here?

Also, the wireless receiver referenced above still worked after this, so it apparently didn't blow out the receiver which if the USB 3.0 ports were hooked up incorrectly (from experience hooking up USB 2.0 ports incorrectly) I would THINK it would have blown out the USB 2.0 device like it did to the flash drive that I had the accident referenced with.

If anyone has any experience with this, please help me? I'm really mystified here, since USB 3.0 is so new there isn't really much documentation that I can find for this and the computer type in question is just as new as well, so I cannot find any information.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I found the solution for this issue. It turned out that HP didn't include the right drivers for the USB 3.0 ports with the machine. Someone on their website gave me a link to the drivers for the Texas Instruments XHCI thing in the machine. Installed those drivers, problem gone!