Build Advice Questions before buying parts ?

May 16, 2023
I have a few questions about this build (1st build): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BZNy9c

1. Will everything be okay compatibility wise?
2. Do I need to download anything on a USB like drivers or bios?
3. What thermal paste should I get?
4. Best way to purchase the parts (U.S.)?
5. Any videos to watch to get a good idea of how to build it?
6. What tools will I need?
7. I have another M.2 in my current PC, am I good with having only M.2 storage drives?
8. If the M.2 is not compatible, am I good with having only 1 storage drive (windows and everything on it)?
9. Upgradable for the future?

May edit if I think of more questions
Any feedback is appreciated

I plan to order sometime end of February or beginning of March

2; i'd go to board manufacturer's web site and download all drivers, particularly the Ethernet one. May not actually use them. Windows will install a bunch when you install windows. I'd leave BIOS alone for now UNLESS you have a reason to think your CPU may not be compatible with your motherboard. Do you?

3; not a big deal. I use Noctua; about 9 bucks

4; Newegg direct; Amazon direct; a few other maybe like B and H Photo.

5; probably; but they change often and you have to weed out the ones that are brain dead, poor video, foreign language; poor audio; vague; too brief; etc etc. A lot of trouble and highly unlikely to answer ALL of your questions.

6; probably nothing more than screwdrivers.

7; nothing but M.2 is OK as long as your motherboard has enough ports for them.

8; if the M.2 is not compatible, don't buy it. Use a 2.5 inch SSD. Not a world of difference. Main advantage of M.2 is no cables. You can certainly put EVERYTHING on one drive. Many do. I don't. But you need to have some other drive to back up your personal data files. Could be external or internal.

9; do you plan on upgrading certain parts within a year or two? Or do you want to build and keep it as is for 4 or 5 years?

Reactions: 35below0
Few questions about this build (1st build): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BZNy9c

7. I have another M.2 in my current PC, am I good with having only M.2 storage drives?
8. If the M.2 is not compatible, am I good with having only 1 storage drive (windows and everything on it)?

Looks OK but there's a small chance BIOS may need an upgrade. MB has ability to upgrade BIOS version even without a CPU so you may want to prepare an USB stick formatted in MBR with a newest BIOS file on it. Download and read MB manual before you buy it, procedure is outlined in it.
MB is up-gradable even now with newest 8000 APU series and next gen 9000 series when they come out in few months time.
M.2 slots are compatible only with NVME SSDs,
Although Windows 10 and 11 come with all essential drivers it's good idea to download Chipset drivers from AMD site and GPU drivers from Nvidia in advance as well as newest available BIOS on a USB drive. MS/windows supplied drivers are often older and with less features.
Thermal paste comes with the cooler, don't need anything better.
Of tools you need only a long-is Philips screwdriver size #2 and possibly size #0 for mounting M.2 drives.

Looks OK but there's a small chance BIOS may need an upgrade. MB has ability to upgrade BIOS version even without a CPU so you may want to prepare an USB stick formatted in MBR with a newest BIOS file on it. Download and read MB manual before you buy it, procedure is outlined in it.
MB is up-gradable even now with newest 8000 APU series and next gen 9000 series when they come out in few months time.
M.2 slots are compatible only with NVME SSDs,
Although Windows 10 and 11 come with all essential drivers it's good idea to download Chipset drivers from AMD site and GPU drivers from Nvidia in advance as well as newest available BIOS on a USB drive. MS/windows supplied drivers are often older and with less features.
Thermal paste comes with the cooler, don't need anything better.
Of tools you need only a long-is Philips screwdriver size #2 and possibly size #0 for mounting M.2 drives.
PS, Download and read manuals for all parts in advance, even before buying them they show much more about parts than just description.
Even after some 30+ years experience I do that every time

Few questions about this build (1st build): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BZNy9c

Don't forget to ground yourself before starting your build.

A flashlight will likely be handy.

You'll probably fumble around a bit with thermal paste applications. I'd get some isopropyl alcohol and maybe Q-tips to clean off your failed attempts.

I would not be highly concerned over removing the last molecule of a failed attempt, but you could be highly obsessive, in which case make it easy on yourself.

Common mistake is too much paste. I'd say anywhere between the size of a BB and the size of a green pea.

You can go as crazy as you want on how to apply it.....a single dot in the center, a stripe, 2 stripes forming an X; several small dots, smeared single dot spread clockwise, smeared single dot spread counter-clockwise; while facing Dubuque or Mecca; while shouting incantations in Swahili; etc, etc.

Try not to get caught up in that.

Reactions: CountMike
Sep 11, 2023
I wear a headlight, (the kind that straps on the head), when I build. Very helpful to see into the recesses of a black case and you don't need a third hand to hold it.

You are wise to ask questions BEFORE you buy.

1. Probably all is compatible. But if there are issues with ryzen, it is in the ram compatibility area.
Take the time to check the motherboard ram support list to verify that your ram kit is explicitly on the list.
Or... go to the silicon power site and verify that the selected ram is supported on your motherboard and cpu combo.
If you can't verify compatibility, pick another vendor. Not all seemingly compatible ram works with ryzen.

2. Your bios will be current at time of manufacture. likely, no action needed.
You will need internet access to do a lot of work.
Do you plan on lan or wifi?
You will need a wifi driver or a lan driver. If you are lucky, windows will load something suitable.

3. Thermal paste will come with the cooler. nothing special is needed. Buy a bottle of 92% alcohol to clean off the cpu if you should need to repaste.

4. Buy parts from a shop with a good return policy and reputation.
if you have a microcenter nearby, they have good prices.
If you buy from newegg or Amazon, buy only products sold and shipped directly. Not from affiliated vendors.
5. I
think newegg has tutorial videos.

6. Buy a long #2 magnetic tip philips head screw driver.
A small flashlight can be helpful.
7. Nothing wrong with multiple m.2 drives.

8. I prefer to have just one large m.2 C drive for everything.
It makes space management easier. Do not chase impressive synthetic benchmarks, we mostly do small random i/o and that differs little.

9. Nobody knows what you might want in the future.
Likely cpu or gpu upgrade. Looks like you can handle either.
850w is a reasonable wattage, but, I would prefer to buy a higher quality psu with a 10 year warranty.
Perhaps, even 950w. Modern graphics cards can have some very high peak demands that only a really good psu can handle.
Over provisioning a psu is good, it will only draw the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.

Here is
MY build process:

Before anything, while waiting for your parts to be delivered, download
and read, cover to cover your case and motherboard manual.
Buy a long #2 magnetic tip philips screwdriver.
A small led flashlight is also useful.

I find it handy to buy a power switch like this for testing.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168121..._switch-_-12-119-009-_-Product&quicklink=true
1. I assemble the critical parts outside of the case.
That lets me test them for functionality easily.
A wood table or cardboard is fine.
2. Plug in only the necessary parts at first. Ram, cpu, cooler, psu.
Do not force anything. Parts fit only one way.
Attach a monitor to the integrated motherboard adapter if you have one, otherwise to the graphics card.
3. If your motherboard does not have a PWR button, momentarily touch the two pwr front panel pins with a flat blade screwdriver.
4. Repeatedly hit F2 or DEL, and that should get you into the bios display.
5. Boot from a cd or usb stick with memtest86 on it. memtest will exercise your ram and cpu functionality.
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.

Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.
Opinions vary on updating the bios.
Normally, one does not update a bios unless there is a fix for something that is impacting you. I violate this rule on a new build and will update to currency up front.
Use the usb option, not the windows option.
If there is a severe problem, the impact is small.

6. Install windows.
7. Install the motherboard cd drivers. Particularly the lan drivers so you can access the internet.
Do not select the easy install option, or you will get a bunch of utilities and trialware that you don't want. Drivers only.
7. Connect to the internet and install an antivirus program. Microsoft defender is free, easy, and unobtrusive.
8. Install your graphics card and driver if you tested with integrated graphics.
You will need to remove the graphics card later to install your motherboard in the case.
As a tip when screwing the motherboard into the posts, give the screw a small counterclockwise turn until you feel a click.
That lets you know that the screw will engage properly.
Make a note of how the graphics card latches into the pcie slot.
The mechanism will be hidden under the card and may be difficult to work if you have not previously checked how.
9. Update windows to currency.
10. Only now do I take apart what I need to and install it in the case.
11. Now is the time to reinstall your graphics card.

Reactions: 35below0