Question Questions before overclocking the I5 8600K

Ok so it's been a very long time since I've been here but I am back and this time I have a question instead of answering questions. So back in early 2018 I got an I5 8600K and a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard. It's been a very long time since I overclocked a CPU, the last time I did was back in 2012 with the I5 2500K. The truth is I kind of forget how to overclock..sort of. So here are my questions:

What do I have to turn off in the BIOS before overclocking? Obviously turbo boost I remember that but there was something else I turned off too.

For those that have this motherboard any weird features related to this specific motherboard that should be turned off?

For these CPU's where should I start with voltages and starting clock speeds? Looking here (https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics ) it looks like 4.8 to 4.9 should be achievable at 1.37 to 1.38 volts. Thats where I am aiming for.

Lastly with these motherboards and generation of CPU do I have to mess with the timings of the memory first or can I leave the memory at stock speeds and jump right into overclocking the CPU.

Last edited:
For memory just enable XMP and it auto-configures timings.

The CPU turbo boost will automatically be disabled; it may not show it in BIOS, but it won't be used by the CPU if you set a manual CPU clock multiplier. So no need to worry about that.

What CPU cooler do you have?

For memory just enable XMP and it auto-configures timings.

The CPU turbo boost will automatically be disabled; it may not show it in BIOS, but it won't be used by the CPU if you set a manual CPU clock multiplier. So no need to worry about that.

What CPU cooler do you have?

Thanks. Its an AOI that came with my case I have the Genome II so it comes with a Deepcool Captain AIO with a 360 mm rad. Not as good as a custom loop I know but still a good AIO should be just as good as high end air cooling like a Noctua high-end heatsink/fan

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy