• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Questions for CPU Upgrade

Oct 13, 2019
I built my computer back in December of 2018 and I use it mostly for gaming. I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600 so I can, finally, play Rust and other open world games with ease. But, I have a couple of questions.

1. Since I am only upgrading the CPU, what will my OS do? In other words, will I need to reinstall or reactivate windows.
  2. Other than making sure I have the latest BIOS version, what should I do to make sure the upgrade works out perfectly?
  3. I am currently running on the stock AMD CPU cooler that came with the CPU. Should I upgrade this as well as the CPU?
P. S. , This is my very first computer build and upgrade consideration, so I hope I don't sound like an idiot. I just want to be able to play games that require a good CPU. Also, I really like this computer and I want to ensure that is does not get damaged.

Gam3r01

Titan
You shouldnt need to do anything other than making sure you have a compatible BIOS.
Sometimes a clean install of windows is needed, but usually thats to fix issues that may pop up. It should work without a clean install though.
The stock cooler should be fine, but depending on your case setup and temps a new cooler wouldnt be a bad idea. But you should give it a try with the existing cooler before making that decision.

I built my computer back in December of 2018 and I use it mostly for gaming. I thought it might be a good idea to upgrade my CPU from a Ryzen 3 1200 to a Ryzen 5 3600 so I can, finally, play Rust and other open world games with ease. But, I have a couple of questions.

1. Since I am only upgrading the CPU, what will my OS do? In other words, will I need to reinstall or reactivate windows.
  2. Other than making sure I have the latest BIOS version, what should I do to make sure the upgrade works out perfectly?
  3. I am currently running on the stock AMD CPU cooler that came with the CPU. Should I upgrade this as well as the CPU?
P. S. , This is my very first computer build and upgrade consideration, so I hope I don't sound like an idiot. I just want to be able to play games that require a good CPU. Also, I really like this computer and I want to ensure that is does not get damaged.
Which MB do you have ?
  1. Don't have anything to do with Windows 10, W7 could be a problem.
  2. Just update BIOS prior to changing CPU and leave it at factory defaults.
  3. 3600 comes with own and adequate cooler.

Oct 13, 2019
Which MB do you have ?
  1. Don't have anything to do with Windows 10, W7 could be a problem.
  2. Just update BIOS prior to changing CPU and leave it at factory defaults.
  3. 3600 comes with own and adequate cooler.
I have a MSI PC Mate MOBO. Also, im running on Windows 10

ASK THE COMMUNITY