Question Questions/help regarding the SSD

BrianThompson

Commendable
Aug 5, 2022
Hi! I'll try to be as straightforward as possible, but bear with me since I'm not much of a tech genius or anything. Recently I bought a new PC which has a 2 TB SSD in it (so far in my life I've had 2 PCs and both of them only had the HDD). Based on my research, my understanding has been that HDDs last longer than SSDs because the SSDs have a limited number of ''writes'' which wear out the SSD over time. Due to my limited knowledge on the subject and the fact that I'm a proponent of functionality and longevity over anything, I've steered clear of SSDs because I figured they would break down sooner than the HDD. As the years have progressed, I started to question that logic.

My questions are related to the ''writes'' that the SSD apparently lives and dies by. I did my research on the ''writes'', but for the life of me, I haven't been able to find a straight answer to the question what is considered a write and what isn't. I just don't understand it. The main reason I'm asking is because I'll be using the PC for gaming and I'm planning on installing only games on the SSD and nothing else because of all the advantages everyone says the SSD has over the HDD (better performance, speed etc.).

Since my old PC lasted for almost 8 years, I'd like to make sure my new one lasts at least as long (that includes the SSD) and so I'm trying to understand how the SSD works in order to preserve it for as long as possible. So, all that said, my questions: Will playing games installed on an SSD affect the SSD in a way that it will consume the ''writes'' extremely fast and wear it out within a year or something? How many ''writes'' occur during playing a game? For example, I found out that a typical SSD has a capacity of about 50000 to 100000 write cycles in it. Does saving a game once count as 1 of those writes or 10 or 100? Because I tend to save the game a lot during playing games (probably a dozen times an hour). Does simply starting the game count as 1 of those writes? When the game loads textures and stuff each time, does that count as write? Does me merely spending time in a game for too long causes the write cycles to build up?

I know installing the game on the SSD counts as a write because it's logical, but other than that, I have no idea what else and it's confusing, but also kinda scary since I don't want to have to buy another SSD within a year because I saved the game too much or something, you know? I pretty much play like 3 games on a PC, maybe 4 and once I install them once, I won't be uninstalling them or reinstalling them or anything. I'm just confused and I'd really appreciate if someone could explain it to me how it works within the realm of gaming so that I know how to approach it and what to watch out for. I know the questions may sound dumb, but like I said, I'm not a tech genius or anything, I just like PC games from time to time.

USAFRet

Titan
Based on my research, my understanding has been that HDDs last longer than SSDs because the SSDs have a limited number of ''writes'' which wear out the SSD over time.
Not necessarily.
That "limit" is HUGE. In normal consumer use, you will never get to the drive wearing out from too many write cycles.

I have SSDs in 24/7 use that are over a decade old.
None of the dozen or so SSDs have, in my use, ever come close to the warranty TBW number. Not even a little bit.
The write cycles of all 6 drives in my main PC, all SSD, cumulatively, do not reach the warranty number of a single one.

This is literally nothing to worry about.

Now..the drive may die of something else.
Or data may get corrupted/deleted/whatever...
Keep good backups.

Reactions: BrianThompson