freshnfat

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Hey my first time posting here, ok i have an AGP and a decent card in there, i have all ram slots filled. i tryed to change my old processor to new one but there was no slot for a 3..and i assume a 4 is the motherboard to old? let me know how i can get this changed..like maybe a new motherboard or whatever just let me know what i need to do to put a new processor in.

umm what kind of mobo and processor are you using and what kind are you trying to put in there?

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>

freshnfat

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
im not even sure the mobo, its a dell comp...the processor is a celeron 3, compared to the pentium 2. im wanting to eventually put in a pent 4 so am i gonna need to get a new motherboard, the processor slot is a big long one if that helps lol.

I'd start with a new case. They come with a new power supply with the 12v 4 pin connector for newer boards. Plan on spending at least $75 for something decent, such as Antec. Or buy a plain generic one without the ps and use a name brand unit by Antec, Seasonic, enermax, pc power and cooling, etc. You might reuse your hardrive and floppy, depending on the age. But you'd best leave your old unit intact and use it for a spare, and plan on spending about $800 for a budget pc. Socket 754 by AMD is a good value, for both the boards and cpus. Dell cases are designed for Dell boards and power supplies, and you'll need a new ps anyway.

A Dell that old may have a proprietary PSU - they used to change the wiring config for their PSUs). Placing a standard PSU into it may fry the system.

<font color=blue>(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination. </font color=blue>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
There almost certainly is nothing worth re-using in your old computer. You could re-use hard disks, CD ROM(s), floppy and that's probably it, but the HDD is probably small, slow and noisy by today's standards, the Optical drive(s) will probably also be slow (and possibly not got that much more use left in them anyhow) and Floppies are next to useless these days..

If you post a budget we could give specific advice, but if you were hoping to be able to upgrade a little bit at a time you're totally out of luck.

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

freshnfat

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Basically rebuild the comp huh?, if so thats kool i want to build one heheh yea the dell is old the power supply is old im sure,it will be fun project tho any advice is welcome on rebuilding it and just using like the card cause that one i got from friend its not the one that it came with. anyway ty for help.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
The graphics card? Any idea what it is? It's possibly made by "Nvidia" or "Ati" and has a model number, like "4200", "9800" or something. It's also going to be PCI or AGP, which describes the kind of slot it goes into. You got any info at all on it? There's no such thing as too much information in this area...

No offense or anything, but you do sound like you have a LOT to learn before you start building a comp. You can never do too much research :smile:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Your first step before building a new computer is figuring out how to take your Dell apart and putting it back together again. Without breaking anything.

Your second step is to ask questions and read the answers to other people's questions that you might be interested in by using the search function to your left.

Your third step is to start price shopping until you figure out what you want and can afford.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

freshnfat

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
yea, none taken im very new thats why i came here heheh...its an agp card i could get info on back but is in parents room atm they asleep so will have to check tomorrow, i know how to get the stuff changed out and things like that i usually know what is what but not about how the power supply would work how much can fry it and stuff like that, and whats compatible with what im here to learn throw stuff at me :). ty. oh yea its a ATI brand..i know that but have to get number tomorrow.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by freshnfat on 10/04/05 00:29 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

My parents had an old Dell with p3 500 and ata 33 hardrive. When the hardrive failed, I built them a new box with a Fry's $59 Amd combo special, and spent about $335 total for everything but the software and monitor. You can rebuild a Dell, but I would ask why? Just to use the old case? Start from scratch. You'll be happier with the result, and have a spare system.

liquidpaper007

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
be careful on processor installtion. this guy I know thought he knew how to make a computer. He installed the processor without lifting the lever. the result, 938pins

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") bunny pwns j00

Resistance is futile...now give the cute bunny a hug. She just wants to be your friend.

<font color=blue>(\__/)

And let's not forget about the uber-important FAQs at the beginning of each forum!

The FAQs give <b>a lot</b> of great info and should be at the top of your reading list. Read the Motherboards, CPU, Memory, Graphics Card and PSU/Case FAQs at a minimum.

<font color=blue>(\__/)