Quick Decision on WiFi Extenders

columbia93

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I need to make a quick decision between 3 extenders.

d-link ac750 for $50
Amped N300 for $50
tp-link AC1200 $65.

Need to be able to broadcast internet to gazebo in backyard.

joesavy86

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

I'd probably go with the D-Link AC750.
If you can pick it up at a local store, you can at least return it easily if it doesn't perform up to expectations.
You will have some and possibly a lot of jitter though.

columbia93

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

No idea what AP or AC is. All I know is my current router (tp-link...about 1 year old) can't seem to get power out there through my 70 year old, petrifying ranch home! I have a screened in porch on the back of the house and I can't get a signal from the router that's about 25-35 feet away, unless I move in front of a window. (These old frames really do petrify....basically have to drill to pop in a nail!) My router is in one of the bedrooms but is placed right beside the door - most central area. I want to move the router to the LR and get an extender for the back of the house that can be moved out to the porch when needed. The gazebo is an additional 15-25' from the porch so, all told, about 55' max from the new router location.

AP=Access Point (It broadcasts wifi signal on your network - similar to what you have but it isn't a router)
AC=Newest wifi standard allowing high bandwidth by combining channels on the 5ghz spectrum.

The extenders are all pretty much the same at that price point.

columbia93

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Thank you. Perhaps someone else can help me then? All I need to know is which of the three range extenders I've listed should I purchase. The one that is $15 more is likely better but no idea if it's worth the additional $15 to buy it. I'm on a budget but that doesn't mean I want to purchase a cheaper model if it doesn't do what I need it to do!

columbia93

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Is it a problem that the antenna are internal? It says there can be issues with broadcasting as it really only does well in 1 direction (front)? Also, I purchased a D-link router years ago and it wasn't compatible with Time Warner (at that time). I understand they are supposed to compatible with all now but still concerned. Also, will it have the range to go through the house and an additional 40' wirelessly?

And, Costco also has an Amped 1750 for $80 with Lifetime warranty. That's getting out of my budget but the warranty aspect, and coming from Costco (returns-wise) is something to consider.

Thanks all for your help!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not sure how a router can be incompatible with a service. Generally the network comes into a cable modem that outputs ethernet into the router, should be no problem. The problem with extenders is its acting a repeater for a weak signal, and generally it adds latency to the connection. I think 40' is generous but possible.

columbia93

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
RT, when I purchased the D-link, I called TWC prior and they said it would work. But you know cable customer service! When I received the router and couldn't get it to connect with the TWC modem, I called D-link and they told me the problem was it wasn't compatible with TWC. I had to return it, with a 15% restocking fee, and have used TP-Link ever since!

The nice thing about Costco is they have a generous return policy - 90 days even if you've used it (electronics). I'm still concerned about the distance and the 1 directional antenna...the outlets I'll be using will put the devices at the back (wrong side) of this extender, which may make it unusable. It also has some bad reviews on Costco. I guess I can try it out and, if it doesn't work, go for the $80. ($65 TP-Link is an Amazon Lightening Deal) Only thing is, I have to order the D-Link and the sale is over next Sunday. Not sure if that gives me time to even receive the cheaper unit to know if I should have purchased the Amped!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

TBH any one of them is rolling the dice, also it sounds like your actual house is causing the interference, could be the wiring or who knows, which means this may not even work for you. Is there any way to get an ethernet cable from your router to where you want to put this extender? Maybe through your basement or around the side of the house?

Otherwise a generous return policy may be your best bet.

columbia93

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I know the house is part of the problem, which is why I'll be moving the modem/router the the LR. That way, an extender can be used in the back of the house (directly) for the PC and tablets and then when I want to watch TV or use the tablets outside, I can unplug it and move it to a location like the outer kitchen wall that would eliminate all but one wall in between.

I had to let go of the TP-Link as the lightening time was out. I've also eliminated the $50 Amped as it is a stand alone device and not something that simply plugs into an outlet (so more trouble to move it around plus dangling wires for kitties!). I'm left with the D-Link that may not be able to handle the distance with the internal antenna and lower reviews or the Amped that is $30 more - both from Costco. I wish they had the D-Link at the store so I could try it out...guess I'll have to do a bit more research. But thank you for your time.