Quick question about GPU/motherboard compatability

EricVG

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
So I am in the process of building a new PC and I have already purchased a Ryzen 5 2600. For now I plan to use my current gtx1060 gpu. My question is this - are some motherboards only compatible with AMD gpus? I was looking at an MSI B450 Tomahawk (seen here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7W5KJS/?tag=pcpapi-20) but it says it supports Radeon Vega graphics. Would I not be able to use my 1060 with this motherboard? Or would it be slower somehow? I thought the pcie 3.0 slots would work with any brand gpu but it has been quite a while since I have looked at these things. Thank you very much for any help or clarification.

Solution
You can use any pcie GPU with that MB, as long as the MB has pcie x16 slot (does not matter pcie 2.0x16 or 3.0X16) , and you have the PSU that can power up the gtx1060.

it says it supports Radeon Vega graphics.
That means if you buy the ryzen 32200g APU with Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics, then you can use the Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics, it does not means you can use AMD gpu only.
You can use any pcie GPU with that MB, as long as the MB has pcie x16 slot (does not matter pcie 2.0x16 or 3.0X16) , and you have the PSU that can power up the gtx1060.

it says it supports Radeon Vega graphics.
That means if you buy the ryzen 32200g APU with Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics, then you can use the Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics, it does not means you can use AMD gpu only.

Solution

EricVG

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

OK! Great! Thank you so very much for the quick reply. I can't wait to try it out. Best regards!