Question Quick question

Oct 12, 2019
I just installed the h115i replacing the h60.
Intel extreme tuning showing the cpu temp as 34c-38c
AI suite from asus showing 32c-36c
Icue from corsair showing 28c.

Which of these programs is more accurate since they showing me the same temps as my h60 besides the icue showing a lower temp??

How is it possible that going from the h60 to a h115i which is double the radiator size yet my idle temps staying the same??

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Jdye34

Commendable
Apr 15, 2019
The fan curve may well be tuned for silence limiting you fan speed, check the fan curve in iCue or see if it has different profiles for noise/performance.
I use the HW info don’t know what cpu your running but 9th gen intel have socket and junction temperature so I would check on HWinfo for the correct reading

Oct 12, 2019
I have the i7 9700k and honestly am going crazy on why I'm getting such high idle temps between 32 and 38c in winter temps so the house isnt super warm

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds like you have a couple different 'questions' going on in this thread? One about idle temps/radiator size and warmer idle temps?

At idle, your CPU isn't doing enough to warrant a change in coolant delta, nor a change in die temperatures. The 2 different radiators, regardless how different in size, are still both able to maintain the same idle temps of the CPU.

Load temps should be different, however.

For your other idle temp issue - what is your ambient room temp? Ambient room temperature makes all the difference in coolant delta and reported die temps.

Reactions: Jackrouach

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It might help you understand if you know how the automatic control system works. It is a TEMPERATURE control system. For the CPU, there is a temperture sensor built into the CPU chip by its maker that feeds a signal out on one pin. The mobo reads that signal and can display the internal CPU temp for you in BIOS Setup, or using any number of applications. AISuite, the one that comes with your mobo on its CD, is a good one to use because it is supposed to be calibrated for your mobo and CPU chip. Some control system watches that internal measured temperature and compares that to a pre-programmed target, then manipulates the speed of the CPU cooler (whatever that is) to keep that temperature on spec.

In your case, you have actually changed the controller system. The H60 old system let the mobo's CPU_FAN header do that control using software built into your BIOS. The new H115i system does it differently. It includes using the iCue software from Corsair which completely takes over the CPU temperature control. That utility reads the CPU internal temp from the mobo, does its calculation work and then communicates with the pump unit via the USB2 cable connection to a mobo header to send its rad fan control signals to those fans. So iCue may be using a slightly different temp target than the mobo was using, but it will be very similar. Thus, at idle with little heat generation, both systems will be setting whatever fan speed is needed to keep the internal temp of the CPU at nearly the SAME as always.

Where the real difference shows up is at high workloads. Even at heavy workloads the actual internal CPU temps may not be much different with your new system, but the fan speeds will almost certainly be SLOWER because that new system can remove much more heat if the fans run fast. More importantly, IF your old system (H60) was not really able to remove enough heat at high workloads, the new system WILL yield lower internal CPU temps because it CAN remove enough heat to keep the CPU cooler.

Oct 12, 2019
I'm a newbie so sorry I see the multipliers are at 4.7 on all cores so I guess its overclocked to 4.7Ghz I did stress test for 15min and it passed going to peak 62c and steady staying mostly at 58c is that good??

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For AIO's, you need to run around ½ an hour. This gives the coolant time to equalize to the load. For a stress test, use Prime95 small fft with AVX technologies (all 3) disabled. This will give a clean constant 100% cpu load, no bounces, no ups/downs. Many programs will bounce between @ 80% loads with extra ram added and 100% with less ram, so you really don't get a good, consistent result.

It's not so much about efficiency as it is about capacity. If you think of the temp as a line stretching from 30°C to 70°C, with the H60 that's over a reference of 140w. So at 70w, you'd be at @ 50°C. With the H115i, that's a reference of @ 300w, so at 70w you'd be closer to 40°C. To see 50°C you'd need to be outputting @ 150w from the cpu, as a rough equation.

You could only compare efficiency between similar ability, like a 140w hyper212 or the 140w H60 (which incidentally have almost exactly the same temps).

My i7-3770K at 4.9GHz with a nzxt x61 never exceeded 55°C gaming, hit 70°C in Prime95 small fft, pushing over 200w cpu output. The 9700k at locked core 5.0GHz is right at 200w output. Your cooler can handle 300w+. So expect gaming temps in the 50's, Prime95 closer to 70°C. If you are less than that, it's due to better ambient temps, better airflow, faster fans (mine rarely went beyond 600rpm) etc.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019
For AIO's, you need to run around ½ an hour. This gives the coolant time to equalize to the load. For a stress test, use Prime95 small fft with AVX technologies (all 3) disabled. This will give a clean constant 100% cpu load, no bounces, no ups/downs. Many programs will bounce between @ 80% loads with extra ram added and 100% with less ram, so you really don't get a good, consistent result.

It's not so much about efficiency as it is about capacity. If you think of the temp as a line stretching from 30°C to 70°C, with the H60 that's over a reference of 140w. So at 70w, you'd be at @ 50°C. With the H115i, that's a reference of @ 300w, so at 70w you'd be closer to 40°C. To see 50°C you'd need to be outputting @ 150w from the cpu, as a rough equation.

You could only compare efficiency between similar ability, like a 140w hyper212 or the 140w H60 (which incidentally have almost exactly the same temps).

My i7-3770K at 4.9GHz with a nzxt x61 never exceeded 55°C gaming, hit 70°C in Prime95 small fft, pushing over 200w cpu output. The 9700k at locked core 5.0GHz is right at 200w output. Your cooler can handle 300w+. So expect gaming temps in the 50's, Prime95 closer to 70°C. If you are less than that, it's due to better ambient temps, better airflow, faster fans (mine rarely went beyond 600rpm) etc.
I will try prime95 it's just confusing I did just finish using intel performance maximizer it set it to 4.9 I believe. I give up at this point with the temps I see my fans working at 1100rpms all fans are corsair 140ml pro h115i on paper I should be at good temps.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
My CPU's , (Although not intel,) idles at 34-35°C, under full load using prime 95 small fft running 30 minutes I only get to 60°C, gaming its cooler than this. I think Intel tend to be warmer CPU's (not 100% sure) but your temperatures dont seem bad to me , Oh and I only use the stock RGB Wraith cooler

Oct 12, 2019
Guys thanks for the help. I'm sure it's also my OCD with this temps that are making me crazy. Like I said I dont even game just watch videos although they might be heavy files I doubt it will run my cpu at full anyways so regardless I should be fine.. again thanks for the advice and help..