[SOLVED] Quiet cpu and case fan

• Thread starter Deleted member 2849646
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2849646

Hi!

i recently bought a new used pc dell optiplex 7010 DT edition. It’s good in every respect except that the fans are a bit noisy (the cpu one and the front one behind the front grill).

Are there any near silent fans aftermarket fans I could replace the stock ones with? They are both equally noisy. They are not catching on anything and not clunking, just noisier than the ones on my old optiplex 390.

Not sure if the pc has more powerful and noisier fans due to the i7-3770 cpu. Thoughts? Is it common for more powerful cpus to have noisier fans?

Solution
Don't get me wrong, Dell builds a very solid pc and their help dept isn't too shabby, they do stand behind their products, usually. It's just that Dell feels like you need to buy what you need, so if you want a gaming pc, you go for one of the Aurora or XPS gaming pc's, if you want an office pc, then that's what you buy. They aren't into ppl buying a cheap office pc and then modifying it into an expensive gaming pc with non-Dell parts.

It's not impossible to do, but Dell doesn't make it easy for a reason.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Noctua or varder I think it is are usually discussed for quiet fans. Can you tell what size fans are it hard to visualize to me?

7010DTcardreader1.JPG

D

Deleted member 2849646

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Dell. Dells are proprietary, every which way they can be. If it's not changing power pinouts for the fans, it's introducing firmware that can detect a non-Dell pwm signiture and throw up all sorts of errors or refuse to function correctly.

That's if you don't have to actually physically modify the mounting plate to accept an aftermarket cooler.

There's multiple quiet and effective coolers that are available, many will fit inside the case, that's not the question. The question is Will it work or do you have to jump through flaming hoops to get it to work.

That fan does double duty. It acts as an intake, drawing fresh air from a vent in the case and exiting broadcast into the case, to drift out the long vent in the back. For you to change that setup, you'll need a cooler about the same height, that'll do the same jobs, a standard tower design won't work well, it'll just circulate the hot interior case air. Conversely, you could fashion a gasket firm foam rubber or similar and make an aftermarket cooler work as planned.

If the motherboard has standard pwm wiring (or you'll need to repin/adapter the fan header) and if the motherboard isn't full of malicious Dell firmware.

Sorry to sound so dramatic, but it's a Dell.

HappyTrails

Upstanding
Oct 30, 2020
Hope all works out seems like a fun and challenging project. Maybe not know what you challenge with until get in and rip out the old stuff but do it gentle so no break stuff and have to replace that too. So everybody think case has pwn? I was the think maybe no but have no idea.

D

Deleted member 2849646

It's a Dell. Dells are proprietary, every which way they can be. If it's not changing power pinouts for the fans, it's introducing firmware that can detect a non-Dell pwm signiture and throw up all sorts of errors or refuse to function correctly.

That's if you don't have to actually physically modify the mounting plate to accept an aftermarket cooler.

There's multiple quiet and effective coolers that are available, many will fit inside the case, that's not the question. The question is Will it work or do you have to jump through flaming hoops to get it to work.

That fan does double duty. It acts as an intake, drawing fresh air from a vent in the case and exiting broadcast into the case, to drift out the long vent in the back. For you to change that setup, you'll need a cooler about the same height, that'll do the same jobs, a standard tower design won't work well, it'll just circulate the hot interior case air. Conversely, you could fashion a gasket firm foam rubber or similar and make an aftermarket cooler work as planned.

If the motherboard has standard pwm wiring (or you'll need to repin/adapter the fan header) and if the motherboard isn't full of malicious Dell firmware.

Sorry to sound so dramatic, but it's a Dell.
Oof! I can see why some people are anti dell now! That’s a major bummer! May just be more economical to bump on and build a new pc from scratch or buy one that is more compatible with modding! Any tips welcomed. 😊

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Don't get me wrong, Dell builds a very solid pc and their help dept isn't too shabby, they do stand behind their products, usually. It's just that Dell feels like you need to buy what you need, so if you want a gaming pc, you go for one of the Aurora or XPS gaming pc's, if you want an office pc, then that's what you buy. They aren't into ppl buying a cheap office pc and then modifying it into an expensive gaming pc with non-Dell parts.

It's not impossible to do, but Dell doesn't make it easy for a reason.

Solution