Question QVL list is hard to parse - any suggestions for suitable RAM?

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
I'm building a new system with specs:
  • Ryzen 7 7900 CPU
  • MSI B650M Project Zero Motherboard
  • XFX 7900 XT GPU
I've ordered everything apart from RAM, and I'm aiming for:
  • 64GB (2 x 32gb)
  • CL30 or 32
  • 6000MHz
I'm trying to stick to the QVL list but I'm having 4 problems finding something to match the above:
Any help, tips or suggestions appreciated!

• Ryzen 7 7900 CPU
  • XFX 7900 XT GPU
  • 64GB (2 x 32gb)
  • CL30 or 32
  • 6000MHz
I'm trying to stick to the QVL list but I'm having 4 problems finding something to match the above:
QVLs are never complete as there is too much to test but that Kingston should be fine. Kingston always had great compatibility with AMD.

Reactions: davidbenpark

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
You are going to pay through the nose for 64Gb of high speed, low latency RAM.

The larger the module, the lower the speed and/or higher the latency. Are you sure you MUST have 64Gb?
You will pay for it, and you probably won't use it for almost a decade.

So why do it? Just to have 64? ...i have 64 and it's pointless. At least i bought cheap, slow RAM because i didn't care for gaming performance.

I advise 32Gb 6000 or 6400 Mhz, CL 30. Safe, sensible and easy on the wallet.

Oh and to your question, check out G.Skill's ram configurator tool. You select the CPU+mobo and it lists all compatible G.Skill kits.

Contrary to what @hotaru.hino said, buying RAM off the QVL is a risk. Nothing will be damaged but your PC may fail to boot, or even worse. It may crash a lot.

Contrary to what @hotaru.hino said, buying RAM off the QVL is a risk. Nothing will be damaged but your PC may fail to boot, or even worke. It may crash a lot.
All the QVL means is that the RAM was tested. It doesn't mean it's the only RAM that's going to be completely solid nor does it mean if you buy RAM listed in the QVL, you won't have any troubles. Is it riskier? Sure, I guess. But not by such a degree it practically matters as long as you're getting RAM from a reputable manufacturer.

davidbenpark

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2014
You are going to pay through the nose for 64Gb of high speed, low latency RAM.

The larger the module, the lower the speed and/or higher the latency. Are you sure you MUST have 64Gb?
You will pay for it, and you probably won't use it for almost a decade.

So why do it? Just to have 64? ...i have 64 and it's pointless. At least i bought cheap, slow RAM because i didn't care for gaming performance.

I advise 32Gb 6000 or 6400 Mhz, CL 30. Safe, sensible and easy on the wallet.

Oh and to your question, check out G.Skill's ram configurator tool. You select the CPU+mobo and it lists all compatible G.Skill kits.

Contrary to what @hotaru.hino said, buying RAM off the QVL is a risk. Nothing will be damaged but your PC may fail to boot, or even worse. It may crash a lot.
Great feedback 35, thank you - food for thought.

I did try the G.Skill configurator, but my mobo was not listed. I think because it's a 'connect from the back' one it's a bit niche, which has made finding RAM pretty tricky. I did notice, however, that 95%+ of the RAM compatibility is the same across all the other MSI B650m boards, so I could maybe just go by that?

On the 32 vs 64gb side, I do web dev and light video editing, and because I'm buying through my business I effectively only pay 61% of the cost due to tax relief. Probably still not worth it, but I reckon with 64gb I can just set and forget then focus on my business until I need a new rig in 5 years!

If you were to tell me that 32gb will be easier to find and more stable, though, I'd be swayed then.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
There are four outcomes

1 everything works. peachy
2 nothing works. PC won't boot
3 everything seems to work, but mysterious crashes happen.

3 is particularly hard to trace. Very annoying.

It isn't possible to predict what will happen. This is why motherboard manufacturers and memory vendors both maintain QVLs in the first place.

If you can return the RAM and don't mind the hassle, then take a chance. If you need long term reliable RAM, then buy from the QVL.

Don't go advising strangers that it's risk-free and painless. It can be very annoying and frustrating, even if for you it's no biggie.
I will conceeded that a QVL is not definite and a kit may totally deserve to be listed but isn't. So it *might* be 100% safe, but there is a chance it will not work. At all.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Great feedback 35, thank you - food for thought.

I did try the G.Skill configurator, but my mobo was not listed. I think because it's a 'connect from the back' one it's a bit niche, which has made finding RAM pretty tricky. I did notice, however, that 95%+ of the RAM compatibility is the same across all the other MSI B650m boards, so I could maybe just go by that?
Shoot G.Skill an email. They will get back to you quickly.
On the 32 vs 64gb side, I do web dev and light video editing, and because I'm buying through my business I effectively only pay 61% of the cost due to tax relief. Probably still not worth it, but I reckon with 64gb I can just set and forget then focus on my business until I need a new rig in 5 years!

If you were to tell me that 32gb will be easier to find and more stable, though, I'd be swayed then.
No, not easier to find and no more stable, just not super expensive. If the cost is justified, and it sounds like it is, then take a 2x32 kit.
For strictly gaming, 64 is overkill and a probably futile attempt at future-proofing. For professional work? 64 or 96 may be completely justified.
In fact, look for some 2x48 kit. Yeah, pricy but it will last a long time. And time is money, right?

• Ryzen 7 7900 CPU
  • XFX 7900 XT GPU
  • 64GB (2 x 32gb)
  • CL30 or 32
  • 6000MHz
Some reading.
https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/model/108305/msi-b650m-project-zero-motherboard

There are four outcomes

1 everything works. peachy
2 nothing works. PC won't boot
3 everything seems to work, but mysterious crashes happen.

3 is particularly hard to trace. Very annoying.

It isn't possible to predict what will happen. This is why motherboard manufacturers and memory vendors both maintain QVLs in the first place.

If you can return the RAM and don't mind the hassle, then take a chance. If you need long term reliable RAM, then buy from the QVL.

Don't go advising strangers that it's risk-free and painless. It can be very annoying and frustrating, even if for you it's no biggie.
I will conceeded that a QVL is not definite and a kit may totally deserve to be listed but isn't. So it *might* be 100% safe, but there is a chance it will not work. At all.
The wording here implies that the only way to get the best result out of a system is to use RAM from the QVL. Again, QVL is just the manufacturer saying "we tested this kit on this motherboard." You can't extrapolate anything more than that.

So sure, prefer using the QVL, but if you can't find something on that list for reasons, then go for the next best thing: RAM from a reputable manufacturer that's within the specs of what the motherboard supports.

I mean, my car's manual says I should be using Yamaha or Michelin tires because that's what they were installed with out of the factory, but that doesn't mean I have to use tires from those brands. I can use others as long as it meets the specification requirements.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
I mean, my car's manual says I should be using Yamaha or Michelin tires because that's what they were installed with out of the factory, but that doesn't mean I have to use tires from those brands. I can use others as long as it meets the specification requirements.
Flawed.

If you install any tires your car will run. It will perform well enough unless you buy wrong spec tires.

With RAM, your PC may not boot at all. If there was a chance your engine would not turn, you'd buy Yamaha or Michelan tires, or whatever your car's manual said is compatible.

Once again, i do agree that a kit not listed as compatible may work 100% fine.
Also it may work 0% fine.
Or anywhere in between with crashes. If you're comfortable with that, that's your choice and i accept it. But don't advise people who may not know it's risky that it's not risky when it is risky. That is all.