[SOLVED] R5 2600 + RX 6800, is there a problem?

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Hello All,

Happy new year :)

I got my hands on 6800 and paired it with my R5 2600 on asus prime x470-pro. However, loking and the GPU reviews the fps are much higher what I can achieve. For example Metro is given with arround 140 fps. However I vary between 120 and going to 75 in some places. Same settings on 1440p Ultra as the reviews on Metro for example. So, I pushed the CPU to 4.1 Ghz which actually brought me no gain. If there was it was in the average of 2 fps which is nothing. I just got more fan noice :) Also, I dropped the settings from Ultra to High and the change was just about 10 fps....

Except Metro, I tried Hellsblade - there I can even frop to 60-70

I tried now Dishonred 2 ( seems I missed a very nice game) but there I have even bigger dropps. However, I assume here is that driver not opetimsed for an older game ... or maybe I wish it is that ...

The CPU usage while playing never goes above 80% on some of the cores, as total it is never above 60%.

Ram is clocked at 3000 mhz.

I ran some echmarks and Time Spy I get 14 749 which I think is a decent score.

All latest drivers and bios. So what can be the cause of that? Is something wrong or I am experiencing CPU bottleneck here and this is all the R5 2600 can achieve? And is there actually any point of the OC of the CPU in that case?

Last edited:
Solution
Hey,

Thanks for reply. I actually read this and I totally agree. It is maybe one of the best anwswers on this topic. What I was not sure if this was indeed the case since I do not have even one core going above 80% load. Also, I thought that by bumping it to 4Ghz will help. It did not and I actually got worse benchmakr results on 4.1 and this is why I went back to 4. But, it seems this is the case and I will be hunting for 5600 :)

I can actually say that overclock brings no gain to gaming. Soem benchmark score maybe, but gaming .. no. Tested it on stock booest 3.8, OC all cores on 3.9 (auto OC of the motherboard) and manualy to 4.1. Gains were in the area of 3 - 4 fps .. so you just get more fan noise :D

And ot RAM topic - I...

Lutfij

Titan
And a Happy New Year to you too!

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. What GPU were you on prior? You should use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then manually install the latest drivers for your AMD card in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Reactions: mistyrain

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
And a Happy New Year to you too!

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. What GPU were you on prior? You should use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then manually install the latest drivers for your AMD card in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Thanks for reply mate:

Bios is the latest. (I had a case with the old GPU where it was performing very poorly and after motherboard bios update it was unleashed)

Before that it was RX580. When I updated the drivers after the 6800 was placed I chose fresh install or whatever was in the menu which said it deletes all old and puts the new ones fresh. Was this enough or no?

PSU is Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 550W. (It was more expensive than the average 650W ones and I read very good reviews). Age is 1 month. Having read the techspot and toms reviews of the 6800 their whole rigs consumption was about 480W and GPU 250W. Their systems were higher specs too.

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Read this thread right here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/low-gpu-usage-rx-5700-xt-in-csgo-valorant-warzone.3677325/

The OP has almost the same problem as you and 95% of the things I explain to him apply to you in this situation.

Hey,

Thanks for reply. I actually read this and I totally agree. It is maybe one of the best anwswers on this topic. What I was not sure if this was indeed the case since I do not have even one core going above 80% load. Also, I thought that by bumping it to 4Ghz will help. It did not and I actually got worse benchmakr results on 4.1 and this is why I went back to 4. But, it seems this is the case and I will be hunting for 5600 :)

I can actually say that overclock brings no gain to gaming. Soem benchmark score maybe, but gaming .. no. Tested it on stock booest 3.8, OC all cores on 3.9 (auto OC of the motherboard) and manualy to 4.1. Gains were in the area of 3 - 4 fps .. so you just get more fan noise :D

And ot RAM topic - I am 2X8 - 3 000 Mhz. kingston HyperX. Will I get reasonable gain if those are changed? Or not worth the money?

Last edited:
Hey,

And ot RAM topic - I am 2X8 - 3 000 Mhz. kingston HyperX. Will I get reasonable gain if those are changed? Or not worth the money?

Glad to hear it; the 5600X is a good CPU.

For a 2000-series CPU your RAM is just fine, but 5000 series CPUs support higher infinity fabric overclocking and benefit from 3600 MHz RAM. I can't quantify specifically how much of an improvement you'll see, but if after upgrading your CPU you're not seeing quite the performance uplift you were expecting to see, I'd upgrade your RAM to at least 3600 MHz. I say at least because some chips can hit 3800 MHz and apparently there are BIOS fixes in the works to make that the new normal for a lot of Ryzen 5000 series chips. Better to do it right the first time IMHO.

Reactions: mistyrain
Solution

mistyrain

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Glad to hear it; the 5600X is a good CPU.

For a 2000-series CPU your RAM is just fine, but 5000 series CPUs support higher infinity fabric overclocking and benefit from 3600 MHz RAM. I can't quantify specifically how much of an improvement you'll see, but if after upgrading your CPU you're not seeing quite the performance uplift you were expecting to see, I'd upgrade your RAM to at least 3600 MHz. I say at least because some chips can hit 3800 MHz and apparently there are BIOS fixes in the works to make that the new normal for a lot of Ryzen 5000 series chips. Better to do it right the first time IMHO.

OK, you just made me spend more :) Thanks a lot for the info and discussion.