Question R6: Similar Cases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Are there any cases that have the front usb type c and are quiet like the r6, but not such big dimensions and weight?

I can't really find anything else other than maybe some that would get warmer while achieving it.

These dimensions seem crazy to me personally. Over 20 inches deep and 27 pounds weight. I would have rather kept the define c if it had a front usb type c. That is a lot better dimensions… 10 less pounds weight, around 5 inches less depth, a few inches less width. But no front type c... Hated to get one without that since I wasted money on a msi x570 ACE mobo.

Well, that's new, and lame. No reason for that to exist when they already have a memory configurator/finder PLUS, it's asinine, because qualified "vendors" indicates memory manufacturers that have been proven to work on a given board, not the other way around.

Anyhow, you've quibbled and stalled for so long, you might as well just sell it all and wait for the next platform now. :)

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Well, that's new, and lame. No reason for that to exist when they already have a memory configurator/finder PLUS, it's asinine, because qualified "vendors" indicates memory manufacturers that have been proven to work on a given board, not the other way around.

Anyhow, you've quibbled and stalled for so long, you might as well just sell it all and wait for the next platform now. :)
The thought seriously went through my mind today that I should get the newest intel where I don't have to sell my memory. But then I'd have to sell my mobo and cpu. lol.

Also, everyone tells me keep my rm550x psu despite it not having 2 connectors for the cpu, but here's something they probably don't think about... just because right NOW the cpu can't pull enough power to need both of those 8-pins doesn't mean there won't be another cpu before the death of am4 that could utilize it, so shouldn't I get one with the 2 8-pins to better future proof?

I've had that psu sit here unopened for over TWO years. So out of the 10 year warranty I just threw 2 in the garbage. lol.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Speaking of RAM, a 3600 Samsung b die kit that IS on the list is going on sale in a few hours, but it still will be $285, which is mighty pricey when you can get non-b-die 3600 for $100 less. But that isn't on the list like this so I dunno.

I sure thought that I had seen the cheapest b die 3600 kit on the qvl was $350 before discount whereas this is $299. So I am not sure if this one was the one that HAD been $350 recently or not. I will have to look again.

edit: hmm this must be the kit which was $350 because there's not one for that price now and I was almost sure the one on the qvl that was b die was that price. I had said if it went under $300 I may buy it. Still pretty dumb to waste an extra $100, but it is b die, on the qvl, and would OC better than others probably, so I am tempted.

edit 2: this is tough... I already know people in here wills ay don't do it, but I am leaning towards it because it would be on qvl, higher speed, and good at OCing if I choose to. I bet it will be $250 or less around black Friday, but there's no guarantee and that would add a 1 month wait.

Last edited:

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
This is the most stressful process. I felt like it should get lower and technically it's only $15 off anyway for that RAM kit, so with 1 hour left on the sale I am probably waiting. But my luck may be that it goes up in price instead of down next month.

I also couldn't decide on a $120 970 evo for a third ssd so it sold out minutes later with me still thinking.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
r6 or define c?

I still can't decide. I was all decided, I thought, on the r6, then picked up the box and it reminded me how much heavier it is, which just seems so weird, I guess because of me only buying prebuilts for years and they are always light. Seems weird to buy a heavy case. Would be about like a new cell phone coming out that is huge and weighs as much as the first portable phones used to weigh. But then again, that wouldn't surprise me if that happens, seeing as how now phons sound quality on calls is about worse than ever. Whole main purpose of a phone and it sucks now on them. lol.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
still nobody telling me which case. shrugs

Also now I could get 32gb g.skill 3600 for like $160, but it's 18-22-22. Really crazy that same capacity and same frequency could be that low for that kit yet $300 for another kit just because of timings.