[SOLVED] R7 3800x and Kraken X73 temperatures. Annoying.

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
So, I have installed my whole new PC today from scratch.

The temperatures of my CPU at idle are around 45-52c
The temperatures of my CPU at 100% load (Prime95, Cinebench, gaming) is around 58-60

So I am totally fine with the temperatures on load, as I think it's really good, but the idle ones are for me extremely high and I have no idea why. The Voltage of my CPU is at 1.29v with 4.3 GHz, so here comes my question, how can I lower my idle temperature to be lower, I am guessing 39-40 would be fine?

Case : NZXT H710i
CPU : R7 3800x
Cooler : Kraken x73
GPU : RTX 2080 Ti
Fans : 3x front fans on radiator as intake
Fans : 2x top fans as exhaust
Fans : 1x rear fan as exhaust

Solution
It is the nature of the beast.
Ryzen 3000 is very 'bursty' on low loads, with cores/threads frequently activating and sleeping. This behavior does lead it to have higher power consumption and temps at 'idle' VS the Intel competition.
At the same time, on full load, power consumption and temps are lower.

You can set a static core frequency if it bothers you that much, but that incurs a performance penalty.

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
water flow might be too slow, pump is running at full speed?
Thank you for quick response. The pump is running at 61%, since it doesn't make any sounds at that much. However the radiator fans and the case fans are running at 20%.

Changing the pump to 100% (2800 RPM) keeps the CPU at 42-44c with bouncing to 52c and dropping back to 42-44c instantly, while load is at 53-55c

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It is the nature of the beast.
Ryzen 3000 is very 'bursty' on low loads, with cores/threads frequently activating and sleeping. This behavior does lead it to have higher power consumption and temps at 'idle' VS the Intel competition.
At the same time, on full load, power consumption and temps are lower.

You can set a static core frequency if it bothers you that much, but that incurs a performance penalty.

Solution

FreamoN

Commendable
Mar 21, 2020
It doesn't bother me, I was just really annoyed by it.

As my idle was almost the same temp as my full load temp, but as you say, it may be just ryzen. I am just happy that my load temps are that low tho.

Reactions: Phaaze88