R9 290 black screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrRrof

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
I have had my new pc build for 6 months now and have been using it without problems. Recently it has been giving me artifacts and crashing to a black screen, when i start up again windows sometimes reports it as a bluescreen.

I am lead to believe that it is a software error of some kind (like drivers or something), because i have tested this problem in safe mode and no error occurred. it is starting to happen more and more frequently (5 - 10 mins after startup), although sometimes i can game for hours on end with no problems. The error almost always happens when i watch a movie in VLC in fullscreen.

I used 'Whocrashed' to try and figure out what was going wrong. It says the most likely causes are "atikdag.sys" and "atikpag.sys". so i did a complete reinstall of my drivers (I had the 15.5 beta driver but after uninstalling i installed the 14.12 driver), however i still have the problem

the only other cause i can think of would be not enough power to the gpu, but i was using my pc for months without the problem. - i even tried replacing the pci-e cable

Thanks in advance

My build:
Sapphire R9 290 vapor-x
AMD fx-8350
GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0)
Corsair RM650
Seagate 2TB SSHD

Solution
The quality of the PSU is WAY more important than the wattage. Remember that the numbers stated by the GPU companies for 'required PSU wattage' are WAY WAY overestimated due to people using poor quality PSUs that don't make their labeled wattage.

A quality 650w PSU like a Seasonic will easily run a 290 without issue. But a junk 850w unit will not run it. Do not get a Corsair cx750. It is not a good unit.

Stick with Antec, XFX, Seasonic, EVGA (G2,B2)

DrRrof

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
is it unusual that it tends to black screen more often when its NOT under load?

For example last night it happened about 2 times while looking over this thread, yet i could run FurMark for 20 minutes and it didnt even show up with artifacts? It also rarely blackscreens while im gaming.

p.s still going to get a new psu either way

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

its better to borrow one i dont believe it will help

DrRrof

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Good idea, i will borrow a mates one this weekend