Rack Chassis Brackets

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hello,

I would like to build my own rack server cage, and was wondering if anyone
knew what type of L-brackets I should use. I need to find the L-brackets
that you find on the left and right sides of a cage (with the pre-drilled
holes) which the chassis bolt into. If I could locate someplace that sells
them, I could cut them to the right sizes, and weld them together.

Any ideas where to find them?

TIA
Steve

In article <40e62271$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Steve <wormuth@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I would like to build my own rack server cage, and was wondering if anyone
>knew what type of L-brackets I should use. I need to find the L-brackets
>that you find on the left and right sides of a cage (with the pre-drilled
>holes) which the chassis bolt into. If I could locate someplace that sells
>them, I could cut them to the right sizes, and weld them together.
>
>Any ideas where to find them?
>
>TIA
>Steve

I think you are asking for what I call "rails". Any of the major
makers of equipment racks sell the raiils, but they are a minor item
in the back of the catalog.

Google Chatsworth, Bud, Acro. Lots of companies make
this stuff.

The full enclosure cabinets for mainframe and minicomputers frequently
have rails inside that can be used. I know equipment made by DEC and
Compaq do. These days empty cabinets are tossed in the dumpster and
are a good source.

Another source, that's much easier to come by, e is the U-channel
rails from a "2-Post" rack. See

http://www.chatsworth.com/main.asp?id=25

The rack costs about $150. I recommend getting one that's drilled and
threaded on both sides of the channel. Some aren't. (Some aren't
threaded at all, and use what are called cage nuts which have to be
bought seperatly)

The aluminum is soft enough to cut with a hacksaw, or if you want to
reduce the U channel to a L strip, can be cut on a table saw with the
proper blade.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <40e62271$1_2@127.0.0.1>, Steve <wormuth@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I would like to build my own rack server cage, and was wondering if anyone
>>knew what type of L-brackets I should use. I need to find the L-brackets
>>that you find on the left and right sides of a cage (with the pre-drilled
>>holes) which the chassis bolt into. If I could locate someplace that sells
>>them, I could cut them to the right sizes, and weld them together.
>>
>>Any ideas where to find them?
>>
>>TIA
>>Steve
>

> I think you are asking for what I call "rails". Any of the major
> makers of equipment racks sell the raiils, but they are a minor item
> in the back of the catalog.

We recently rack-mounted all our kit at work. Some of our servers were
free-standing, some were designed to go in a rack but we had no rails.

The rails are pretty expensive. The rack mount kits for standalone
servers are _incredably_ expensive. In the end we ended up buying some
shelves for the free standing servers...

--
Paul