Radeon 32mb DDR LE/VE ?

Skirmash

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just bought the 32mb DDR Radeon. Having read a thread earlier about avoiding the LE/VE (not sure which) version, I will check tonight and see which version I ended up with.

I guess my question is what version is desirable ? Was the Radeon 32MB DDR released with 128 bit DDR, and what was it called.

If I ended up with this 64 bit DDR LE/VE version, then I will demand my money back, because the model stated on the website made no mention of an LE/VE version.

I thought all 32mb DDR Radeons with respect to the DDR and clock were the same - this is obviously not the case.

Can anyone clarify this whole situation please ?

Skirmy

G

Both the LE and VE are to be avoided. The LE is SDR. The Radeon VE has 64-bit DDR and the is clocked at 183mhz (core/mem). The good radeon has no extra parts to its name, it's just called radeon 32meg ddr. It has a 166mhz core with 128-bit DDR clocked the same. If you need futher help determining if you got what you wanted, let me know.

ATI is stupid for releasing 6 difference versions of the radeon with confusing distinctions.

G

Dude, Snrub, where the heck do you get your facts? Do you own a Radeon LE? okay, listen to me on this..

ATI Radeon LE VS Retail Radeon

148Mhz VS 166Mhz
No hypeRZ VS hyperZ
large heatsink vs small heatsink and fan
128 bit VS 128 bit
84 dollars VS 170 dollars

the ONLY difference is that the LE needs to be overclocked and have the registry edited.... it is NOT HARD TO DO... I have ordered two of the cards and done the above things to them and have the exact same performance of the retail.... once again, SNRUB, please do some friggin research before you post... the LE ISNT SDR it is DDR... the VE is SDR.. stay away from it...
.. read the last few posts done by RCF and I

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

The LE is better than the VE, and with some minor tweaks it will perform better than a standard radeon at a 50% lower price.

SEARCH FIRST, THEN POST

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
A number of people are posting that their Radeon LE easily can be over clocked to 200mhz even without a cooling fan at Rage3d.com. Plus the benchmarks they are getting is just as good or better than the OEM/Retail 32meg ATI Radeon cards. Looks like a great buy, we are talking about GTS II performance in 32 bit, high resolution for less than $100.

G

just to let everyone know.... they can usually get up to 200/200 if you keep your case cooled, but remember if you go above the 200 mark, for some reason, the performance drops.... I'll let you know when/if I hear differently about this..

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-