Radeon 4830 vs Geforce 9800GT

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Disturbed205

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009

elel

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009

I've never used tiger direct myself, but my boss says that they're allot harder to deal with than newegg, esp. with rebates. Hope you like youre new card!

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Okay I just have to post in this thread because rocky is being completely deceiving in his list of PhysX titles. There are only 13 PC titles currently released that require PhysX for exclusive hardware accelerated features. Many of the PC games he listed only use the software incarnation of PhysX and do not use hardware acceleration on the GPU nor do they require an Nvidia GPU to work. PhysX creates a niche, proprietary feature set which Nvidia hopes will just further its marketshare by confusing its users. The only game that has mattered to date to use it is Batman Arkhum Asylum, sorry, and all it does is add some paper and smoke while still decreasing performance. :sarcastic:

Here is the list of games that support PhysX hardware acceleration.

You really need to educate yourself or stop spreading useless information from marketing ploys. CUDA and Stream aren't doing anything special and it's already possible for Microsoft to do it without being platform-dependent (already seen in Direct2D) which will be made a standard because of its existing domination with DirectX technology. Neither will last, and physics has always been done in the DirectX featureset -- they're only trying to make you think they've done something new.

Lets face it: Nvidia has already pushed Intel away and will say anything that makes its GPUs sound like they are anything special; AMD is merging its graphics with its processors eventually; and as far as gaming goes they're both at the will of Microsoft for the majority of their market, and by extension Nvidia is at the will of Intel regardless because you've gotta be joking me if you think we're gonna be seeing any large amount of computers being bought without an Intel or AMD processor in them in the next 5 or 10 years. Nvidia's entire marketing strategy right now is a complete and utter joke devised by a company that has been backed into a corner only because of its rude, egotistical business demeanor. I've never seen a company talk so loud with nothing to back it up. At least Intel had tangible products to back up its rebate bribes.

As far as this topic goes: HD 4770 or GTS 250 are your best bets. The GTS 250 is a 9800GTX+. The 4770 provides a bit less performance than the GTS 250, get whichever is cheaper. Also, the HD 4850 is exactly on par with the GTS 250, not below. The 4770 is below the 4850 in performance but well above the 4830.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Hey Disturbed, your best bet is to use engines like Bing shopping which compare a large amount of prices from a collective number of sites. Here I've input the HD 4850 and it shows quite a bit of returns, however looking at most of the cards at or under $100 (including the GTS 250) it appears that they're sold out.You'll also notice Bing will give you sometimes 10%+ cashback just for using their shopping search which may negate some of the price if you have to go over $100.

GALAXY GeForce GTS 250 - graphics adapter - GF GTS 250 - 512 MB

Bing cashback @ 15%: $17.85
Final price: $101.04 w/ free shipping

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Overstock has tons of commercials and are probably more well respected than Newegg I would say, they just don't really have much of a technology preference so you won't see them mentioned here. People tend to just stick to Newegg, but if you can find it cheaper elsewhere there shouldn't be a problem. A 9800GT is an 8800GT.

GTS 250 ~ 9800GTX+ > 9800GTX ~ 8800GTX > 9800GT ~ 8800GT

GeForce GTS 250: Nvidia's G92 Strikes Again

The 9800GT is incredibly overpriced @ $100 (and isn't even on the performance chart). I wouldn't pay over $75-80 negating a mail-in rebate.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

It's really funny to see how convoluted the lineup is... :p I kind of laughed typing it.

Also you're welcome disturbed, best of luck. The GTS 250 is a good card and should provide acceptable performance for you.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

It also has a DVI (dual link compatible) port, which can be seen in the brief description.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

How was I being deceiving? I told exactly what the list was and provided that complete list, both copied exactly from the website. And I provided the link to that website for anyone to review - the same site you linked to.

Here is the same link I provided above listing all of those games.

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_all.html

Your characterizing my action as deceptive is totally wrong and bogus. You are the deceiver not me.

And here is a sale that might interest the OP:

BFG 9800GT 512MB with EcoIntelligence PCI-Express Video Card - $69.99 AR
http://www.frys.com/product/6030128

Nice sale deal from Fry's - and the card uses a smaller fab than typical 9800 GT cards that reduces energy consumption. Its price is substantially less than similar cards (even without the energy saving advantage) on both Fry's and newegg.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

They may be "more" respected if "more" means more people use them because they sell a wide range of mostly non-technology products. But that is hardly a reason to tout them for a replacement for purchasing technology products. If instead you want "more" to mean more widely respected by tech enthusiasts then newegg wins hands down. And it is not because Overstock "doesn't really have much of a technology presents", its because newegg excels and outpaces them in many important ways, including"
1. Much wider selection of current (as opposed to overstock out-dated mechandise) products
2. More detailed technical information
3. Handy links to product and manufacturer to get more information
4. Customer ranking syste,
5. Newegg warranties and returns policies
6. More discounts and better prices on current products
7. Better customer service
8. Much more sophisticated search tool to help quickly find what you are looking for

That said, I certainly have no problem using overstock.com - I have used them for over 8 years now - its just that they hardly ever have anything competitive on current technology products and I don't usually shop for computer products that manufacturers are trying to dump.

Overstock is designed to appeal to cost conscious customers looking for a good price on items that manufacturers are trying to unload at a significant discount - which is obviouis from the choice of name. They then add a few higher margin items to try to improve profits - something akin to the old bait and switch - only they really offer the cheaper products. Newegg meanwhile is marketing to tech savy customers by providing the many helpful features listed above - and quickly adds the newest products to its mix.

Saying Overstock is more well respected than newegg is like saying a Volkswagen is more well respected than a Lamborghini. Each has its use and target market, but I would sure prefer to drive the Lamborghini - especially in any kind of activity where performance matters.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Below is a partial listing of current and upcoming PhysX titles available for PC and console owners alike. PC titles can take advantage of GPU-accelerated PhysX to provide an enhanced gaming experience.

False; only 13 PC titles on that list use hardware acceleration, which is what I linked to.

You'll notice the link on the bottom of what you're linking to: "For a list of PC PhysX titles that exclusively take advantage of hardware GPU-accelerated PhysX CLICK HERE." Dig through the marketing garbage, or I'll point you to to another website where they're going to tell you "This is the fastest GPU in the world" (and it won't be the HD 5970) if you know what I'm saying.

You gave him a list of games that had nothing to do with the video card you were trying to pitch to him, that's pretty deceiving sorry. I could tell him to go get an HD 4870 and then post that list of games and 75% of them would work at exactly the same. I gave him the list that actually make a difference with an Nvidia card (no need to copy/paste a list of 60 games that aren't even on the PC first of all), and then pitched for him to get a GTS 250. It'd be pretty dense to assume I wasn't trying to make him understand what benefits, if any, it provides. I don't want him going home saying "Oh boy now I get to replay all these games with PhysX!" when it doesn't make a difference on most of them.

They may be "more" respected if "more" means more people use them because they sell a wide range of mostly non-technology products. But that is hardly a reason to tout them for a replacement for purchasing technology products. If instead you want "more" to mean more widely respected by tech enthusiasts then newegg wins hands down. And it is not because Overstock "doesn't really have much of a technology presents", its because newegg excels and outpaces them in many important ways, including"
1. Much wider selection of current (as opposed to overstock out-dated mechandise) products
2. More detailed technical information
3. Handy links to product and manufacturer to get more information
4. Customer ranking syste,
5. Newegg warranties and returns policies
6. More discounts and better prices on current products
7. Better customer service
8. Much more sophisticated search tool to help quickly find what you are looking for

That said, I certainly have no problem using overstock.com - I have used them for over 8 years now - its just that they hardly ever have anything competitive on current technology products and I don't usually shop for computer products that manufacturers are trying to dump.

Overstock is designed to appeal to cost conscious customers looking for a good price on items that manufacturers are trying to unload at a significant discount - which is obviouis from the choice of name. They then add a few higher margin items to try to improve profits - something akin to the old bait and switch - only they really offer the cheaper products. Newegg meanwhile is marketing to tech savy customers by providing the many helpful features listed above - and quickly adds the newest products to its mix.

Saying Overstock is more well respected than newegg is like saying a Volkswagen is more well respected than a Lamborghini. Each has its use and target market, but I would sure prefer to drive the Lamborghini - especially in any kind of activity where performance matters.

Okay. You take what you can get, if he wants to pay the extra $15-20 in this case for those "feel good" features he can, if not he can just use overstock and rest assured they will let him return it with a full refund if it doesn't work; no need to write me an essay. I believe I did specify NewEgg was more for technology, but that doesn't mean it always has the best prices. Overstock is plenty well respected for what they do, and that's good enough for me. I'd say, if my Volkswagon broke down and I needed to get it repaired, I'd trust the Lamborghini dealership if they were willing to fix it, or vice-vera, whatever your point was.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

You accused me of deceiving when in fact I have only stated true facts and, if anyone, you are the one trying to deceive. There was nothing deceptive in my quoting directly from the website "PC titles can take advantage of GPU-accelerated PhysX to provide an enhanced gaming experience" referring to the list I also copied directly from the site.

Why is it only appropriate, as you allege, to consider only games that "exclusively take advantage of hardware GPU-accelerated PhysX". Why not consider all that take advantage and not just those that do so exclusively? For you to arbitrarily narrow it down this way and to then accuse me of deception is flat wrong. My list showed games that can take advantage of GPU-accelerated PhysX to provide an enhanced gaming experience. The list included PC and other platforms, but the platform was identified in the listing I copied. The list has over 120 games that on the PC platform "can take advantage of GPU-accelerated PhysX to provide an enhanced gaming experience." Further I included the entire list so as not to edit and let any reader see the full detail.

Again you are the one doing the deceiving - or maybe just deceiving himself.
First, I was not trying to pitch him any card. I did mention one card, in a previous post, only to say that I missed out when it was on sale. I never suggested buying it at current prices. In fact, I went into a short discussion about how I was NOT buying ANY card now but waiting and watching.
The listing was in another post in which I was responding to someone else - NOT the OP at all - and discussing the advantage of CUDA vs. the "ATI version". I had stated how much further ahead nVidia was and how much progress they had made and money invested and offered the list as support for that - for the CUDA process, which actually makes your attack totally off base and outrageous. And deceptive.

Again, the listI linked showed over 120 games that "can take advantage of GPU-accelerated PhysX" on the PC platform. It had other platforms also and I so no need to go throw a long process of editing to delete them - they were clearly labeled. And again, you are lying when you say I pitched for him to get a GTS 250. Later in the thread, when OP asked "rockyjohn, if you would, please send me a message or something if you ever catch a 250 on sale again", I did respond by posting links of two GTS 250s on sale. But I never recommended or even suggested buying them and, to the contrary, pointed out the negative reviews on one of them. Please stop pitching bogus statements to try to deceive ther reader.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Disturbed - fyi - I picked up one of the BFG 9800 GT small fab cards today for $69AR at Fry's. Not quite as good a deal as the BFG GTS 250 for $79 AR but still a great price and an excellent card.

Unfortunately it is not available for sale online for shipping at the moment. I had it in my cart yesterday and then when I went to pay found it was out of stock. I guess at those prices the online stock when quickly. But then today I found it listed online but for local store pickup only. Luckily I live not too far from a local store - actually there are three all within about 20 minutes in different directions. It seems that for some reason San Jose has quite a few stores - although actually only one is in San Jose and one is in Sunnyvale and the last in Campbell.

[Edit/update - 12/2 - now the listing says to call for availability]

Don't bother getting a $150 GTS250...totally not worth it. For $150, you can get a 4870 1GB. For $125, you can get a 4870 512mb.

A GTS250 is worth it only if it's $110 or less. If your budget is around $100, just get an ATI 4850, which performs comparably to a GTS250.