Radeon 4x 6950 driver crossfire

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arrowdynamic

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hello,
I am trying to use 4 XFX radeon 6950 cards with crossfire. 3 works fine, 4 give an error "Unable to initialize display driver wrapper". Tried driver updates etc. and does not seem to help.

Any ideas what could help with the 4th card, or does this card just not work with 4 cards?

G

Actually he's got a rig capable of tacking highly parallel problems and he's using it to do so. If you would stop looking at this from the perspective of video games, you would see he's actually doing it correctly.

arrowdynamic

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

This is a good question. Equation was very simple. I checked the performance and found the best deal considering the performance and price (including rebate). I didn't find nVidia GPUs with equal performance for the same price. It was hard to find suitable cards because most of them are out of stock.

I'm happy with these cards, except for not being able to run 4 cards at the same time and they heat a lot.
I set up my rig to run 3 cards. They are spaced so the air can flow and cooling with fans works better.
I still haven't found a good answer (even from XFX) on why 4 cards of this particular type refuse to work in one computer.
Most of other rigs, I've seen only 3 of 6950 run in one mother board. But I have heard that someone got 4 cards working - and I had them running for a moment without error as well.

So, it remains a mystery what the error "unable to initiate display wrapper" is. What it causes when 4 cards are in. - and obviously I haven't found a fix for that.

If there's someone who knows something about this error, please post it. I've pretty much given up on figuring out this error. If the answer surfaces, great! If not, at least I have an awesome 3 card rig running doing exactly what I want it to do.

Thanks all for your comments.

Cheers!
AD

arrowdynamic

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011

Thanks for this idea. It's a possibility. I am starting to believe that it's just these cards and their drivers that don't support 4 x6950.
Linux supports 8 GPUs, it might be a solution. I might try it out later on, but now it would take too much time. Besides these have a heating problem when I have 4 of them together. They are too close to each other on the MB and the heatsinks on these cards are not very effective.
But thank you for the idea. I might explore it.

lolzxdrofl

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I'm just gonna say this you're issue is obvious the Athlon is obviously bottle-necking you're CPU lol... the cpu u currently have would bottleneck 2 6790's also you're ram is low im pretty sure this is a cpu problem because you're cpu just can't handle the all the 6950s i dont even think it could handle one.. and yes u say it works with 3 video cards but thats to a point eventually u will get random blue screens... NEW cpu!!!!!!!
NOTHING TO DO WITH drivers lol i had the Phenom II B60 4 core processor and my 6850 crossfire was suffering and i have a 850W psu... 4x6950 will definitely bottle-neck you're CPU consider asking a friend for a decent 4 core mine was crap.. or ask for a 6core and see if it stops

Status
Not open for further replies.