[SOLVED] Radeon 5700XT Ref vs XFX Raw II

Sep 8, 2019
Hey guys,

I got two very decent deals on the 5700 and may have ordered both.
First the reference design from MSI for 354€ and the XFX for 395€.
I know the ref model isn't superb, but I read often that with wattmann and a custom fan curve I could get the card reasonably silent and cool (I have a 1060 which hits 41/42dB on load and that's totally fine for me). I know I would need to change the headsink paste and apply some washer and some pads on the backside, but I won't mind it.

The RAW II is pretty new and I don't know what to expect. Some day it's a perfectly fine card, some other and some of the Thicc II owners say the mem temps are even worse with the XFX cards. They are easily hitting more than 100C. I don't know if all of these results have a valid test method and not some silly benchmark but I definitely want to have a card that works for 100% and has no problems with temps and dB in all usescases I may have.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I dunno what to do and first thought the undervolted and worked on reference design 5700 would be perfectly fine...

Thanks
Bastian

Sep 8, 2019
I wouldn't agree. I paid 50€ less than the Raw II and that's 100 less than the Red Devil.
And that's why I ask: how good can the ref design card be made with little effort.
50 bucks is 50 bucks...

Sep 30, 2019
So what did you end up buying? I actually bought the blower style Amd Radeon RX 5700 XT (blower style) first and actually ended up returning it and forking over more money for the Raw ii . It ran hot creating freezing, crashes ,distorted the sound and made a crackling noise. The Raw ii hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.