Radeon 5750 Display Driver Stopped Responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battsman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
NEED HELP RELATED TO SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 FREEZES!

I've built a new computer and I'm having quite a few graphics freezes. Generally, these freezes start with the mouse still responding, but you can't click on anything (no hyperlinks, no icons, etc. work - just the mouse moves around on the screen). This is typically followed up in a few moments by either a black screen or some other random mono-colored screen (Grey, teal, off-white, etc.) and then after another pause, windows refresheshs and returns the message: "ATI Display driver stopped responding and was recovered." I've tried the usual stuff (e.g.: loaded the latest ATI Driver, powered down computer, reseated the card in the motherboard, etc.") to no avail. On occassion, I'm also getting random artifacts on the screen too (small off color squares, etc..)

Interestingly, I dropped back to the standard windows vga driver and it doesn't appear to bo locking up. Of course that isn't reallly a long term solution - why have a 24" monitor that you can't use full resolution on?

I've tried to contact Sapphire tech support, but their help ticket system is clearly <insert description of excrement here>. I also tried to contact AMD support and the Canadian <insert plural description of rectum here> are on break and don't return until January 4th?!?!?!? (AMD you just lost a customer over that one - I'll likely never build another AMD or ATI solution).

Any suggestions from the community since the mfgs don't have any desire to provide assistance in a reasonable timeframe?

Here's the rig:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit MCE VErsion 6.1 Build 7600 Service Pack 0.0
Intel Core i5 CPU - 750 @ 2.67 GHz
Asus P7P55D EVO Motherboard
Crucial CT2KIT25664BA1339 4GB 2GBx2 240-pin PC3-10600 DIMM DDR3 Memory KIT
Sapphire Technologies / ATI Radeon 5750 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W RT Power Supply
Boot HD is actually an SSD (Intel X25-M 80 GB)
Data Hd is a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB

Solution

mlytt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I am feeling the pain, the thrill of my new Sapphire 5750 1GB Vapour-X edition arriving in the post was all to quickly marred by endless "Display driver stopped responding and was recovered" messages. The problem sounds identical to yours.

Machine:
Asus P5Q-EM
Core 2 8400
Vista 64

Battsman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Agreed - it sounds much the same. Sadly, I ended up going with a lesser NVIDIA card (GeForce GTS 250 1GB) that I purchased on sale from Best Buy. I powered down my machine, swapped in the new card, and then powered up. Windows 7 recognized the card immediately, loaded a default driver, upped the monitor resolution to the native format for my 24" LCD monitor, and started trucking - no worries, no snags - you know like it is supposed to work. I've had no further issues with the new machine - everything works like a charm and it is extremely fast - unsurprisingly the sleep resumption issues also disappeared.

ATI & Sapphire - I couldn't be more disappointed with your product, your (lack of) support, etc. You might score well in benchmarks, but it does no good if the hardware/drivers and follow on support suck.

Battsman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Oh how helpful, an arrogant response based on poor assumptions. Do you think I haven't googled?

Here are a couple of thoughts:
1) If this is so clearly the answer then why did Sapphire's tech support recommend that I RMA the card after my tech support conversation with them?

2) I read your recommended forum. The descriptions are not fixes. They are workarounds. There is a difference and I'm not trying to be deliberately argumentative here. A consumer shouldn't have to un-install patches or turn of Aero or change VPU clock speeds or reduce security by turning off UAC or disable dual monitors for a peripheral to work - that isn't a fix it is a work around and work arounds should be temporary while a fix is identified.

3) The error message I am receiving is not the same as the error message your forum references.

4) KB952287 isn't even a patch that is applicable to Windows 7 (I even confirmed that this via windows update history to make sure).

5) Installing the NVIDIA card worked like a charm without the slightest hiccup, but the users in your forum have seen it on both brand chipsets.

6) "I am able to fix the problem on at least 10 computers by uninstalling a certain windows update." <-Your gift for exageration appears to be showing. Maybe I'm being too cynical. If so, I apologize.

BTW - I really do wish there was a ready SOLUTION for my problem (I selected the 5750 because I was trying to keep the power usage down), but I'm not willing to risk eating the cost of a card (I am RMAing for refund) when I don't know if it is hardware or software - I still suspect the driver, but I can't be sure and spending 2 days researching this was by far long enough - my time is too valuable to waste on something that was solved by swapping the hardware. The ATI card didn't work. The NVIDIA card does work and the machine's primary user (my wife who works from home) is very happy with the system.

Regardless, Good luck to anyone else that experiences this with Windows 7 I wish them success in finding a solution.

YJ2k2

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I don't think this problem is exclusive to the 5750 or ATI for that matter. I had the exact same message popping up in Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit, except with my 7600 GT. I never did find a solution to the problem, but it was non-existant after I installed a Powercolor 5750.

zoeimogen

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Same here - brand new Windows 7 x86 install. Works fine in most games, but video from iTunes reliably crashes out with the "not responding" error after anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes - reboot required to make the machine usable again.

Tried uninstalling the ATI driver but the performance from the card is so poor that it can't even play video when I do that. Reinstalling the driver hasn't helped.

I have a tech support case open with XFX as it's one of their cards.

Z.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Similar issue here - XFX 5770 - windows 7 x64-Ultimate. I don't get the 'not responding' message, but my screen will just go gray and there is nothing that can be done (except hold the power button down and force it to shutdown).

This is when I am just browsing the web or using outlook (not gaming or running any benchmarks)

Created ticket for XFX and got the usual suggestions - uninstall your antivirus, remove catalyst and reinstall, try older driver, uninstall your antivirus (again), disable audio controllers, change PSU, try in different desktop, uninstall your antivirus (yet again)...ugh!

I tried all of these (except try in different desktop - cuz I don't have one to spare) - nothing worked... Sheeeeeeeesh!
GTS 250 might be a better idea (don't like the higher power consumption/noise level on it, but it might actually let me use my desktop!)

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I also had the same issues with my Radeon HD5770 as the others when I was doing nothing-to-internet browsing.

I got the warning messages " ATI Radeon family display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered. " and occasional freezes with color corruption.

This happened in only what is called 2D mode. I was too busy trying to solve the problem. So I have not had time to do something serious with my machine. Therefore, I cannot tell what will happen if I put my machine under load.

Some clever guy over the internet showed the way, a workaround, to properly get rid of the issue. Unfortunately, I do not have the web address to his solution

The new Radeon HD5xxx series cards have very low core clock and memory clock speeds to save power when idling. This low speeds could not maintain stability at all. So we got issues.

I applied the workaround to my machine with the following components and was successful:

Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Sapphire Radeon HD5770
Asus P7P55D M/B
Intel i7 860 cpu
Antec Neopower Blue 650 W
LG Bluray writer
Sony DVD-RW
WD 500 GB Caviar Black
Kingston 8 GB (4x2 GB) RAM
Gigabyte case with two 12-cm internal fans

Here is the workaround:

Open CCC and switch to ATI Overdrive
Unlock and enable Overdrive
Go to Options/Profiles/Profile Manager and create a new profile called, let's say, STABLE.
Save the new profile. But DO NOT ACTIVATE the profile.
Now go to C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles folder ( I assume C: is your system drive )
Note: You should have " show hidden files " turned on to see the folder.
Open the .xml file named STABLE with notepad.
Change the values of the idle Core clock and Memory clock speeds below

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="40000" note: previous value should be "15700"

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="90000" note: previous value should be "30000"
Save the file and close it.
Go back to CCC and activate the profile. This will make the card idle at 400 MHz core clock and 900 MHz memory clock.

The speed change is immediate. You can see the speeds onder CCC Overdrive section.

Please note this change increases graphic card temperature by 6 to 7 degrees C at idle.

Those having issues under load,such as gaming, should not need this workaround.

Hope above helps.

Regards

Solution

carlistillo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
ATI 5750-5770 ARTIFACTS AND RANDOM LOKUPS IN 2D MODE DESKTOP, I NEVER HAD PROBLEMS GAMING...... I DONT KNOW WHY! ATI OR AMD OR WHATEVER THE HECK ARENT SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM THAT EVERYONE OF US ARE EXPERIMENTING, EVEN NONE OF THE REVIEW SITES NOBODY! THATS NOT GOOD FOR AMD, LOSING TO MUCH CLIENTS.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
tombstone 21, did it work ?

Now I have been testing core clock = 226 MHz and memory clock = 400 MHz for two days and no problems as yet. The temperatures dropped to normal values. Also note that Catalyst version is 9.12.

Please be advised.

Regards

tombstone217

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Yes it has Suat, your the man. No problems what so ever. Can't thank you enough, lol it was a nightmare.... now I can watch movies again. I tried every outher fix out there seriously...

Chill out dude

The GTS250 is a 9800GTX that was introduced 2 years ago. They've been fixing drivers for that card since early 2008. The 5750 just came out a few months ago, and Windows 7 also just came out a few months ago. You can't make the same comparisons between 'em by saying ATI/Sapphire sucks just based on one bad experience.

As for the tech support telling you to RMA - a lot of the time, tech support people will tell you to "RMA" when they don't know how to fix the problem...so they just assume it's a bad card. I had a GTX260 that was glitching up in games...PNY tech support told me to "RMA" it because it was defective. I came to this forum, people told me that it was caused by driver conflicts from previous ATI cards. I downloaded drivesweeper, cleaned out the ATI drivers, reinstalled Nvidia drivers, and fixed my problem without issue.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

As a support rep, you have very little info. Have you flushed DXDiag into a txt & sent them the file? Have you told them the exact build of windows, every driver, every application, every setting?
Recommending a RMA is usually a default response.

The GTS 250 is a 9800GTX+ which is a die shrink of the 9800GTX which is an overclocked 8800GTS 512 MB (128 shaders)
The 8800GTS 512 is what? 3 years ago? The 5750 is little over a month.

You can determine the truthfulness of his post how?

My friend had the problem with a 5750, guess how he solved it?
Driver Sweeper
Reinstall CCC
Oh really!

We are here to help, for free, do not accuse us of being exaggerative or arrogant.

You just plagiarized my post... lol :lol:

We think alike. ;)

crh

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I've been having the same problems, but with Radeon 3850. I started to try your workaround, but the values are different for me:

<Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="30000" />
And

<Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0">
<Property name="Want_0" value="70000" />

So I'm not sure what to change them to. Do you have any suggestions?

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If "Want_0"=30000 and 70000 values are the default values of your card ( these Want_0 values are the idle speed values ), then you can start with 40000 core clock ( this 40000 is equivalent of 400 MHz ) and 90000 memory clock ( this 90000 is equivalent of 900 MHz ).

If you still have issues with these figures, you can increase them little by little. For example, yo can make core clock 420 ( do not forget to add 00 when you put the figure in the .xml file ) and memory clock 950 MHz.

There is no problem involved as long as you remain below maximum values except that your power consumption will increase. But you can continue with this workaround until graphic chip maker ATI ( if this problem solely lies with them ) will find a solution to this.
Beyond max values, you enter into overclocking area.

Hope the above helps.

Regards

Battsman

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Since I returned the card it would be hard for me to select a best answer for certain, but it sounds like Suat is on the right track for a "work around." I'll not reiterate my differentiation between work around and fix - Suat's suggestions would appear to increase power consumption (marginally?), but at least they don't appear to neuter functionality which a lot of the suggestions on zipzoomflyhigh's link did. For the rest that keyed in on my tone in response to zipzoomflyhigh - note that I was annoyed by his assumption that I hadn't tried to find a solution ("googled") on my own. The good news is that I'm much more zen-like (see ambivalent) in my feelings about this issue now that I haven't had a driver crash since I switched to the NVidia card almost a month ago. Regardless, THANK YOU to all of the CONSTRUCTIVE posts.

Finally, since I don't have the card anymore to test/confirm myself - I'll open it up to the forum. Do you guys recommend that I "Best Answer" Suat's original post?

G

If you have an Asus motherboard try setting the Peg link to Auto, it worked for my Sapphire 5750 that would go black screen after post. Peg link is in your BIOS.

ADK

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hi, I have a same problem with asus ati eah5750 but when i go in TombRider Underworld or PoP podigy
after a while screen lacked and jump out into blue screen and automatic reset

Cpu Q8300
Asus ATi EAH5750
2GB Ram Patriot DDR3 1333
MB Asus P5Q3

Is this problem can be solved ????
plz plz plz can be solved or i must buy something else plz help me i have no time for this....thnx ;-)

WLD

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
ADK, I have the same issue. With the ASUS EAH 5750. With a Gigabyte AMD Phen II x 3 motherboard. I have tried CCC 10.2, AMD/ATI HD 5700-5800 driver. Window 7 (64) will not allow the driver(s) to load after rebooting . It just goes to a black screen and freezes. Over and over. Twice with CLEAN install. At one point I had MS VGA driver in stalled. But!... What the point!... I've been on the internet four days reading my eyes red. I've had the card five. Time to move back to Nvidia that was my last card and it worked for four years. I hope a solution is found before the card is discontinued. WLD

G

------------------------------------------
Here is the workaround:

Open CCC and switch to ATI Overdrive
Unlock and enable Overdrive
Go to Options/Profiles/Profile Manager and create a new profile called, let's say, STABLE.
Save the new profile. But DO NOT ACTIVATE the profile.
Now go to C:\Users\{YourUserName}\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Profiles folder ( I assume C: is your system drive )
Note: You should have " show hidden files " turned on to see the folder.
Open the .xml file named STABLE with notepad.
Change the values of the idle Core clock and Memory clock speeds below

Feature name="CoreClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="40000" note: previous value should be "15700"

Feature name="MemoryClockTarget_0"
Property name="Want_0" value="90000" note: previous value should be "30000"
Save the file and close it.
Go back to CCC and activate the profile. This will make the card idle at 400 MHz core clock and 900 MHz memory clock.
----------------------------------------

THANK YOU, it really helped me. After that there was no bluescreen for a week already. Before it was a nightmare 20-30 times crashes daily.

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I've got a similar issue (display driver stopped working and has recovered) with my HIS 5850 in eyefinity making all my 3 monitor blink for like 5 seconds then goes back to what ever i was playing (not crashing). Those Volodymyr workaround work ? and if it does since lots of people seem to have this issue please AMD do something and update drivers !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.