Radeon HD 6950 Into a 6970 With a BIOS Hack

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Also would like to add that Ive been following this closely (since I ordered a HD 6950 before knowing about this little trick)and not everyone has had it work for them. So, it is not a 100% guarantee it will work. So, that leaves me to believe some cards were binned as HD 6950's due to the fact they actually failed testing in some way, while a good majority were perfectly good 6970 chips that were bios crippled to fill the segment.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]nevertell[/nom]This is not fail. It's a marketing WIN![/citation]

BINGO. I'm glad someone here actually is seeing this properly. AMD is probably more than glad to sell either a 6950 or 6970 vs you buying something from Nvidia. The buzz generated about the cards will make them sell better in general.

Considering the cost for the two is likely not too far different, its a Win/Win for both them and the customer.

AMD had been doing pretty good with the black Edition of their CPUs, yet when Intel tried the "unlocked!" models, I didn't hear much buzz at all about them.

This is a good thing.

[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]AMD Fail, isn't the first time this happened. Anyone remember the triple core into a quad core a while back?[/citation]
Does anyone not? Didn't think so.

ie. common knowledge fail.

[citation][nom]Harby[/nom]You're clearly not old enough to remember ATIs 9800GTs into XTs BIOS mods.Plus, what's the fail about it? Did you maybe buy a 6970 and now you feel cheated out of 70 bucks?[/citation]
You mean the 9800 pro, I assume?

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Hopefully this will grab some of the people that were going to be heading over to Nvidia.

More money for AMD means better products down the line, which in turn means better competition which means lower prices, which means more fun gaming with awesome graphics for cheap!!!

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]AMD Fail, isn't the first time this happened. Anyone remember the triple core into a quad core a while back?[/citation]

AMD originally disabled the 4th core on the Phenom X3 because the cores were damaged. They didn't try to hide the fact that the extra core could be enabled, but warned that it could potentially cause stability issues.

[citation][nom]rmmil978[/nom]It still works on some GTX 465s, that's a pretty new card.[/citation]

That only worked on a few early GTX465's that were made using GF100 chips intended for GTX470's. Asus even used it for marketing purposes.

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]its old news now. techpowerup did it a few days back and the net was abuzz wuth comments. TH got tp this only today.PS: hey, will have to concede that the WIZZARD there is better than all of you guys. hell, dont you have any one brainy here?[/citation]

What kinda briany you talking about? :p Im brainy in cpu's but i do know quite a bit in other stuff. (it just cpu's are my strong suit.)

As for looking for brainy people, you need to look into the forums on here for that.

Most people that you see talking in the comments on the articles only comment here and sometimes some of them don't know what there talking about.

[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]its old news now. techpowerup did it a few days back and the net was abuzz wuth comments. TH got tp this only today.PS: hey, will have to concede that the WIZZARD there is better than all of you guys. hell, dont you have any one brainy here?[/citation]

Or are you meaning of the toms staff? if so then im guessing your looking at the us site.

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
To all you people flaming this, you are why people can't enjoy a good thing when it comes your way. Get real and stop hating.

P.S. what would the advantage for them to be making a 1gb version, don't you want more ram no matter what? or does it mess with clock rates or some thing I haven't heard of yet.

res1i3js

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]res1i3js[/nom]Nobody has mentioned the fact that the 6870 has 2 extra pins on one of the power connectors. I'm guessing that this is very important. I personally do not believe this is a wise tweak because of it. http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=27897[/citation]
Ah hell, I don't know how to edit my post. I meant to say 6970. >.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]res1i3js[/nom]Ah hell, I don't know how to edit my post. I meant to say 6970. >.[/citation]

If you look at the first page. I was the first to mention that.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008

you obviously got "the stupid fanboy dearest comrade" award for the day! congradulations !

:)

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009

AMD win! Think about price-performance ratio of HD6950 with the hack. Wipes easily nvidia products.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]razercultmember1[/nom]:\ the risk of instability for the opened cores out weighs the cost...[/citation]

HD6900 has dual bios and you can roll back with a flip of a switch. I guess you didn't think of that, huh?

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-motherboard-amd-phenom-cpu,8015.html

As many already know, it's possible to unlock the disabled cores on recent Phenom II processors, allowing you to get up to 4 cores working. Many who have tried this say that they gain some considerable speed, but there's a risk. The cores are disabled for a reason: they don't work properly. Because of this, AMD will, for example, sell a 4-core processor at 2-cores, for a much cheaper price.

same goes for GPUs

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]surfer1337dude[/nom]interesting to know that amd just felt like charging you an extra 70 bucks for no real good reason...[/citation]

Have you ever heard of product binning? How would you thing GTX460 FTW! high overclocks are possible. Why didn't nvidia just clock base product 150mhz higher? Let me tell you, because some chips are better and more stable on average. I'm sure HD6970's contain more stable cores than HD6950's.

[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]It is a fail when there's no countermeasures put in place by AMD to stop this sort of thing. Regardless of whether the chip itself was binned to be a 6950 over a 6970. This happened before with their CPU's, and it just seems like they don't care enough to do anything about it, or they didn't invest enough time/money to prevent this sort of thing from happening.[/citation]

I guess AMD is not as good as intel or Nvidia at screwing the customer over for every penny they have. Would you rather they charge 50 extra dollars for an "upgrade" to our processor or rehash old products so they appear to be new. Anyways, the only people who will use this little hack are enthusiasts and will only be saving a small amount. It is far from what i would call a fail

Status
Not open for further replies.