Radeon HD 6950 Into a 6970 With a BIOS Hack

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]borisof007[/nom]AMD Fail, isn't the first time this happened. Anyone remember the triple core into a quad core a while back?[/citation]

How is this fail? If anything, this is a fantastic marketing strategy. AMD makes the same units and sells the ones that meet quality standards for a high price and sells the rest for cheaper. Not only do they lose almost nothing in bad parts, but their customers also get the chance to gamble for a good part. Have you even put any thought into this?

Elvis_Marmaduke

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
The new MSI 6950 (the one with dual-fans which I was TOTALLY going to get) doesn't have dual bios, or no switch at least, (I read this on a user newegg review) which seems to be one way some are combating it... Personally, I think it's a pretty good idea, more people (tech people at least) will buy the 6950 in stead of an nvidia card knowing they can flash it and have comparable performance to a better card. The down side to doing this is I read that it can't handle heat/voltage variations as well (cheaper ram or something?) but all in all, I'm sure a TON of people will be doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.