Radeon RX 560x (laptop) no compatible drivers

Jun 7, 2018
So for the past few hours I have been in display driver hell. I just got this awesome Acer Nitro 5 Gaming Laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500U APU, and RX 560X graphics, here.

The only seemingly working driver I've found that works is the Windows 10 driver that automatically installs upon installing the OS for the first time. This driver is basic, and lacks any form of Radeon Settings.

So all of my games have been unoptimized and jittery, with no option to enable my beloved FreeSync.
AMD's website currently has no documented drivers for the RX 560x, see here.

So, I thought that maybe I could just install a normal RX 560 driver. But boy was I wrong.
My integrated Vega 8 graphics disappeared from Device Manager and now Windows 10 thinks that I have an "AMD Radeon Pro 460."

Throughout this entire process, Radeon Settings was either not installed on my computer, or whenever I opened Radeon Settings upon a new clean driver install I am greeted with the error message of "Radeon Settings and Driver Versions don't match."

I've tried newer drivers, older drivers. Some RX 560 drivers result in a permanent black screen until I boot in Safe Mode.
Before every driver install, I booted into Safe Mode and did a clean uninstall of the driver using DDU. While I don't think this is interfering, my UEFI has no option to disable the integrated Vega 8 graphics, too.

If anyone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm stuck right now.

Did you try using the autodetect and install option in the dropdown menus here:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Choose the notebook graphics option in the first list box and then auto detect in the second one. No guarantees but I'm with you that I see no option for your driver there. You may need to contact AMD support or download the drivers directly from your laptop manufacturers product page.

Knowing the exact model number of you laptop might be helpful too.

Aug 12, 2018
Same thing happened to me today. I've been trying to fix this <<language please>> for so long. I've tried everything but nothing has worked. Really disappointed with AMD because of their lack of drivers for their gfx. I'll edit this comment if I find an answer.

Jun 7, 2018

The model number of the laptop is AN515-42-R5GT.
For some odd reason, the AMD website is not allowing me to select the "supported operating system" and "display results" tab for automatically installing notebook graphics.
So, I just downloaded and ran the normal auto-detect radeon software, and attempted to install after the usual safe mode DDU uninstall.
Even with my APU and GPU under device manager as "microsoft basic display adapter" and the resolution all wacky (obviously no drivers,) I received the installation error "Components are already installed" when running the auto detect software.

Solution
Aug 12, 2018
Just fixed the issue. First use DDU to unistall the drivers, then delete the AMD folder from the C drive. Then go to the acer site and go to drivers and select the laptop you own, as in my case it was the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42.
Then download the driver titled as VGA which will be around 300+ MB. Install the drivers and viola! Issue fixed!!

Jun 7, 2018

Thank you so much. Everything is working perfectly. I guess I just never expected an Acer OEM driver to be the best solution. I will definitely hang around here more if I have any questions.

Jun 7, 2018

I can confirm, yes this works on my end as well. Thank you for your input, I thought I was gonna have to RMA this beautiful laptop.