[SOLVED] Radeon RX 570 - Should I Upgrade the Driver ?

Jan 6, 2020
Relevant Parameters :

GPU : ASUS RX 570 STRIX OC 4GB

Hi

I very recently integrated this product into my system , and downloaded the ASUS drivers and utilities from their website , as the safest option at the time. That driver is still the latest on their website and is version 18.10.16 (build 2018/06/07) . Everything performs just great.

I have just noted that their is a driver also available on AMD for the RADEON 570 which is version 19.12.2 (build 2019/12/12).

Now this GPU is valuable to me and i do not wish to scratch where it does not itch. My question : should I upgrade to the AMD instance , or stay with the ASUS one. Why would the ASUS driver be a number of bumps below that of the AMD. Or are they inherelntly different.

I just want to be very very careful here , hence the need for expert opinion / advice.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, for graphics drivers it's always best to get the latest from the actual GPU vendor (i.e. AMD). There is no risk in doing this. The version on Asus' site is behind likely for no other reason than Asus hasn't got around to adding the latest version to their site. This is common, especially for older cards.

Edit: As far as I know the drivers that Asus posts on their site are the exact same as what you download from AMD.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, for graphics drivers it's always best to get the latest from the actual GPU vendor (i.e. AMD). There is no risk in doing this. The version on Asus' site is behind likely for no other reason than Asus hasn't got around to adding the latest version to their site. This is common, especially for older cards.

Edit: As far as I know the drivers that Asus posts on their site are the exact same as what you download from AMD.

Last edited:
Reactions: antonr
Solution
Would go with drivers directly from amd.com. Have seen reports that the 19.12.3 drivers have had issues on some cards, and notice that shows up as optional. 19.12.2 seems to be recommended according to amd's site. Some users of 5700xt report having good luck with 19.12.1 though. So I would suggest get drivers directly from amd.com and go to one of the older versions for now.

It may be however that since the RX 570 is kind of last year's product, Asus may be more focused on their newer products. But ultimately, the gpu core etc is from AMD. So I would suggest their drivers.

Reactions: antonr
Jan 6, 2020

Thank you . As a result , another question begs , I have noticed on this forum that a DDU utility excist in order to affect a clean uninstall. So I assume this is good practice , or is it not essential in this case of upgrading an excisting driver ?

Jan 6, 2020
Would go with drivers directly from amd.com. Have seen reports that the 19.12.3 drivers have had issues on some cards, and notice that shows up as optional. 19.12.2 seems to be recommended according to amd's site. Some users of 5700xt report having good luck with 19.12.1 though. So I would suggest get drivers directly from amd.com and go to one of the older versions for now.

It may be however that since the RX 570 is kind of last year's product, Asus may be more focused on their newer products. But ultimately, the gpu core etc is from AMD. So I would suggest their drivers.
Appreciated . Thank you.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you . As a result , another question begs , I have noticed on this forum that a DDU utility excist in order to affect a clean uninstall. So I assume this is good practice , or is it not essential in this case of upgrading an excisting driver ?
It's debatable. You really don't need to, unless you end up with issues after the driver update in which case it can help to do a full wipe with DDU and reinstall. But I'm sure there are people out there who do it every time. I think the latest drivers have a 'clean install' option during installation, which should be similar to using DDU beforehand though.