[SOLVED] Radeon RX 580 8GB freezes entire PC on games after a 2-4 sec onset of fps drop/lag

gdavge2003

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
My Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB seems to have some issues. I'll be playing games it's more than capable of handling (AoE2, League, CS:GO) with stable 144 FPS. At some point it will start lagging, almost like a network lag, where I notice the FPS dropping down to 90s-80s. This happens for 2-4 seconds, then my entire PC freezes, and I can only reset.

On League, something I can do to workaround this is to alt+tab minimize it when it starts happening. When I go back to it, it's fine. On AoE2, it happens a lot more frequently. I'm a bit stumped as the games I'm playing are oldies and not intensive at all, since I have stable 144fps.

I'm able to run furmark at 1440p for an hour with no temp issues, and stable clock and wattage. Something I did notice though is that my clock seems to max out at around 1110mHZ, although technically my GPU should be OC'd by Sapphire to 1366MHz

Anyone experienced this before have any suggestions? Here are some of my settings:
  • Radeon software: I have nothing special turned on; free sync is off.
  • My monitor is 144hz 1440p. Special stuff turned off, although free sync is on (maybe this is issue?)
  • CPU/memory stress tested, no issues there.
  • Latest drivers + bios.

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, was able to get it fixed. It was due to the fact that Radeon software automatically setting a low voltage at a intermediary stage. The tuner has 7 stages from 0 (idle) to 7 (max effort). The games I play would clock only at around stage 1-3 (~900mHZ), and the voltage set for these were too low.

By manually tuning up the voltage for stages 1-3, tuning up the vram voltage a bit, and maxing out the power limit % (basically dictates how much max wattage GPU gets to draw), everything was good. I've included screenshot of my exact numbers, hope it helps others.

Bp1rsYI.png

gdavge2003

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Okay, was able to get it fixed. It was due to the fact that Radeon software automatically setting a low voltage at a intermediary stage. The tuner has 7 stages from 0 (idle) to 7 (max effort). The games I play would clock only at around stage 1-3 (~900mHZ), and the voltage set for these were too low.

By manually tuning up the voltage for stages 1-3, tuning up the vram voltage a bit, and maxing out the power limit % (basically dictates how much max wattage GPU gets to draw), everything was good. I've included screenshot of my exact numbers, hope it helps others.

Bp1rsYI.png

Solution