Question Radeon Software installer says installation was not completed but it actually was?!

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
Hello everyone, today I went to update my graphics drivers the same way I've done it many times.. went to radeon software downloaded and started installing the new driver (version 23.12.1)

However this time I got the error 1603 when the install was at 99%. It said the installation could not be completed because the installer couldn't find a file path for WVR64. After that I clicked on finish and rebooted my computer. After rebooting I opened radeon software and it looks like everything has been updated. The UI is different, the driver version in device manager matches the one on AMD's website etc...

What happened? Is this some weird and rare bug in the installer? One thing I did differently this time is that I selected to allow AMD to collect data from the installer to help with developing etc. I doudt this caused the error though. The driver seems to be completely fine, games are running good and nothing is crashing. Another thing I noticed is that my screen didn't go black for a few seconds during the installation, like it's done every time I updated the drivers in the past. Should I run DDU or just leave it alone?

COMPUTER SPECS:
  • ROG Strix B550-F motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X processor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3600MT/s memory
  • Sapphire RX 6700 Pulse graphics card
  • Windows 10 Home 22H2 Build 19045.3803
  • Corsair CX650M power supply

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Should I run DDU or just leave it alone?
Ideally you run DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from your GPU maker's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. As opposed to installing over what was already installed.

Would be a good idea to update your motherboard BIOS if there are any pending.

You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU in your build.

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
Should I run DDU or just leave it alone?
Ideally you run DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually install the latest GPU driver sourced from your GPU maker's support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. As opposed to installing over what was already installed.

Would be a good idea to update your motherboard BIOS if there are any pending.

You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU in your build.
I know this is the best way to install drivers and used to do it this way too, years ago when I didn't really trust the then new Radeon software interface. Anyway over time you get tired of having to reconfigure every single setting every time you update the driver. And so these days I just update through radeon software. I think I'll keep using my computer for now as is and if the driver starts acting up I'll run ddu. 🤞🏻

Also my power supply is a Corsair CX650M.