[SOLVED] Radeon supports which displays?

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Hi all need some info, does the new radeon cards support gsync and freesync and can u use the radeon cards on hdtv to display.

I have intel and looking to upgrade just want to make sure if i go amd-mobo, ram, cpu and gpu do i need a freesync monitor to display and if hdtv will work for time being?

Thanks in advance

Solution
A lot to unpack.

Gsync and Freesync are both designed to make gameplay smoother. Gsync is Nvidia technology, whereas Freesync is an open standard developed by AMD. Where you'll find this is in the displays themselves and not graphics cards. Nvidia has moved to promote "Gsync compatible" monitors meaning they now support some Freesync monitors (they have a list).

Then there are the physical display outputs on a graphics card, typically HDMI, DisplayPort and maybe DVI (or even VGA if going older). And typical display inputs of displays are similar.

To your actual questions. No, AMD graphics cards don't support Gsync. And there's no reason why an AMD graphics card can't display to an HDTV provided you have the correct display...
A lot to unpack.

Gsync and Freesync are both designed to make gameplay smoother. Gsync is Nvidia technology, whereas Freesync is an open standard developed by AMD. Where you'll find this is in the displays themselves and not graphics cards. Nvidia has moved to promote "Gsync compatible" monitors meaning they now support some Freesync monitors (they have a list).

Then there are the physical display outputs on a graphics card, typically HDMI, DisplayPort and maybe DVI (or even VGA if going older). And typical display inputs of displays are similar.

To your actual questions. No, AMD graphics cards don't support Gsync. And there's no reason why an AMD graphics card can't display to an HDTV provided you have the correct display inputs/outputs and cables.

Do you need a Freesync monitor? No. Many may like the smoother framerates the technology offers to justify the expenditure though.

Solution