Radiator fans-intake vs exhaust

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I currently have a 240mm radiator mounted at the top of my CM 690 II Advanced. There are 2 Cooler Master 120mm LED fans on top of the rad (I also have 2 Yate Loons lying around - would those be better?). Since hot air rises it would make sense to use the rad fans as exhaust, but since they are on top of the rad and not under it, using them as intake is what I've been doing. Should I use the rad fans as intake or exhaust?

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

I am using a blackhawk Ultra Rosewill Supertower case with a H100 in the top and I have 4 fans mounted to the h100 in push/pull all blowing OUT of the case...Rule of thumb...NEVER ADD HOT AIR TO THE INSIDE OF THE CASE..."Best Practices"...There was room for a third 120MM fan on top which I added Blowing "IN" thus adding cool air for the two internal fans on the radiator hopefully picking up some of the cool air coming in from the top to aid with movement of cool air at the top of the case. With this config I ended up with 4x140MM front fans as "INTAKE" 1x 140MM fan in back as "EXHAUST", 1x 230MM side fan set as "INTAKE", and 5x 120MM fans on side as well ALL set to "INTAKE". This creates "positive air pressure" INSIDE the case meaning the air is TRYING to get out. By pressurizing the inside of the case...this creates a drop in air pressure at the fans on the outside face creating a suction effect at the outside area of the face of the fans and pulls more air in more efficiently and also allowing the 140MM fan at the back and the FOUR 120MM FANS mounted to the radiator a huge amount of fresh air coming in from all directions to push through the radiator and blowing all the HEAT from the cpu out the top as a natural movement of heated air. The back fan removes as much heat as possible as well so I get massive intake of cold air from front, side, and front of top and I get exhaust from the back "at the top of the case" as well as through the radiator..this provides the absolute best possible cooling config for my rigs...I used this config as well in Antec 1200 only had the radiator mounted at the back instead and used the 230MM fan on top as ONLY EXHAUST...extremely cool temps there as well!

My cpu I7 2700K oc'ed to 5.235GHz never goes over 47C with Intel Burn-In or Prime95, or any other benchmark like AID64 etc benchmarking the cpu to 100% utilization for hours on end and my GPU, the XFX 6970 hits a max of 61C under full load and idles at 38C-41C depending on room temps, with all those fans blowing directly on it from the side panel.

So if I was you...I would add those two yates loon fans to the radiatior like I have mine if possible, yates are high cfm...the more you move air through that radiator, the better it performs...don't know what radiator you are using and if it allows for mounting fans to both sides but can't imagine why not. If it was me...then I would add fans wherever it's possible as intake "EXCEPT" the rear fan as exhaust and insure the top with the radiator is set to "EXHAUST" as well, then set all other fans to intake...your case supports up to a total of (10) fans....use them!

This might be an unusual configuration but I have found that it produces fantastic cooling performance and Performance is what counts in the removal of heat from the case!

Give it a try and see how it works for you... experimentation is how you find out what works best for your rigs configuration anyhow...air movement is king so go for it.

Good luck.

I hear the other guys res, and I tell you now he has air in there, you can see it in the little crescent cover next to the intake, he needs to bleed better :p
compare it to my pump...

there is less than 1% air in my loop and thats mainly due to one of my T-virus resses having a different cap which has a pocket (I will seal it one day or swap out)
but as I've said, lose the air, lose the noise hehe
Moto

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

HUH??? I thought Cs342 was just asking for an opinion as how to set up his "top mounted" radiator with regards to using fans for intake or exhaust on the radiator and as to how best to utilize his two spare yates loon fans...I don't think he was indicating he was having a heat issue, just asking for advice as to what worked best for his radiator setup.

So I'm not sure what you are referring to when stating that he has too much air in his water cooling rig.

Could you maybe clarify what it is you are referring to exactly...I will try to help as best I can to answer a question if there is one being asked...or maybe you saw something?? or heard something???? you said you hear the other guys res! So not sure exactly what is intended here but maybe you see a way to improve his cooling performance?? Fantastic if so...I haven't even found a picture of his rig but I'm new here so if you did see a way to improve his config...KUDOS to you sir...maybe he can check that as well.

Respectfully,

We are working out Cs342's issues over two threads hehe, he's asked me about the Xspc x20 res and is worried they are noisy, I was demonstrating that mines silent, it started out as a tubing change and rad question but he's kind of investigating a couple of upgrades now
pump being the main offender in the noise category which seems to be his focus, but we'll help his loop overall as much as we can
Moto

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Appreciate the welcome and I will take a gander at whatchr hanging out there as a rig...I'm sure it's outstanding!

I like my rig but haven't had time to get pics of it yet...will be doing so in the next few days and posting...I enjoy comparing configs to others and mine as well.

Also I learn something new each and every day...many heads together tend to lead to productive imaginations run amok!!!

What better way to live a life of work and play...especially play!:)

Respectfully,

Lutfij

Titan
i really don't understand why you're holding the gun by the muzzle end and not by the butt end of it. :/

its good for starters and semi- pro'ish people. If you want to end up pro'ish go full out custom. From blocks - rad area to fans- fan controller.

what's to say it'll perform any better than my current setup
reviews and people over at overclock.net have a club there for the rasa 750( surprised you haven't googled all the prev info) and the very fact that your cooling setup isn't available for review/critic/ gander in any language :p so like me and rubx have judged - though this is my opinion, i don't know if its any better than a stock intel HSF...furthermore warranting us to see how your temps are before and after using the watercooling parts.

Lutfij

Titan
sorry for double post: the H100 is anything BUT a watercooler.

Watercooling is more of a hobbyists sided affair while also being one of performance but not one to make you forget what is happening to the stuff in contact with water.

Watercooling...takes time, effort and a lil patience to work with. Its like having children. Devote your time to them and they will reward you when they grow older.

My loop is based on a Rasa Rx240 kit, I added two T-virus resses and hid all the tubing,
with 30'c idle on a 4GHz clock, its not too shabby and can always be added to :p
I'd recommend it over the H100 anyday and allday,
@Lutfij, Sean Connery? hehe never been told I sound like him before :)
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
1| might want to look at this - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/15140/ex-wat-203/XSPC_Rasa_RX360_Extreme_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_RX360_Radiator_and_Free_Kill_Coil_Hot_item.html?tl=g30c321s1310
2| if that is the hose/tubing you're looking to get, how long is it? since it's sold per linear feet
2.1| if that is indeed the tubing, :non: the hose clamps are wrong.
this table says so:
tubing_clamps.jpg

get 1/2" OD hose clamps not 3/4" OD :)

2.2| get 1/2" ID tubing for 1/2" OD barbs. the remaining thickness of tubing is the clamps to move on it.
3| i posted the kit because you get a dual bay res. In the future you'll end up throwing away the single drive bay res in option of something bigger and easier to fil+bleed.Plus you get all the extra goodies you'd rather have to shell out on like compression fittings and getting UV treated tubes. Kill coil comes free :)
4| are you into aesthetics(quality) or quantity?
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c289/s721/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing_Accessories-Reusable_Clamps_-_12_OD-Page1.html

Lutfij

Titan
:/ this thread is going a lil haywire mate...

okay...

how will you want to mount the rads?
with a mod - as many as you want your case to accommodate.
without mod -
CM690II-Adv_01.jpg
2x120 at the bottom and if you mount externally on the back or up top - than 360 or 3x120.

i'm getting 1/2" ID /3/4" OD tubing, so the clamps should be 3/4 right?
yeah thas it

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c289/s723/list/p1/Liquid_Cooling-Tubing_Accessories-Reusable_Clamps_-_34_OD-Page1.html

so that'd leave you to find the appropriate tubing size+color.

i got these for my build:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10604/ex-tub-658/Steel_Spring_Hose_Clamp_for_34_OD_Tubing_-_Black.html?tl=g30c289s723

Status
Not open for further replies.