Radio Shack Hits New Low

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

"Jeff Destross" <news@destross.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 May 2005 10:38:10 GMT, "Matt J. McCullar"
> <mccullar@flash.net> wrote:
>
> >Yep, always go to the manager first. He's the only one who will have the
> >slightest clue.
> >
> >Some years ago when I was still living in Fort Worth (home base of Radio
> >Shack, fer chrissake), my dad and I were working on his ham rig and we
> >wanted to replace a vacuum tube. (Remember those? Those little glass
> >multi-legged items that exploded like firecrackers when they rolled off
the
> >workbench?)
>
> He - Does anyone else remember back when hardware stores and even drug
> stores had the big upright "Test your vacuum tubes" center? You'd put
> your tube in the correct socket, turn a few dials, and it would tell
> you if it was good or bad. Then you'd open up the cabinet on the
> bottom and get replacements for the bad ones.
>
> Jeff

now your showing your age :) What about Radium Water ??

"Steve Lewinsky" <coinop@rogers.com> wrote in message
> This is the second time that RADIO SHACK has Rebranded. Do any of your
young
> folk remember the first product line name that Radio Shack used?
> (Insert Double Jeopardy Sound track here)

Realistic ?

Dane.

Oh GOD you've gotten that question too? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO USE IT
FOR? Well what in God's name does that have to do with anything? You
wouldn't understand it even if I told you. It's a capacitor. I'm
going to shove it up my ass and see what kind of voltage it can
collect over a period of time. Then I want to discharge the voltage
when I fart and measure the current. Can you help me with the probes
of the multimeter? Oh a multimeter? It's used to probe the voltage
coming out of my ass.

On Mon, 16 May 2005 20:09:51 GMT, "Steve Muccione"
<home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote:

> [...]
>the parts do. Maybe they're just bored? The thing is, when I go to a RS to
>buy something it's because I'm hot and heavy into it and want to keep
>working (otherwise I'd just order from Bob or arcadeshop...), the LAST thing
>I want to have to do is answer "what are you going to use it for?",
>especially when the kid wouldn't know if I told him, so the question is
>useless (yes, they're probably trained to ask it, but sigh...)
>

>"Redfive05" <redfive05@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I Hate when you go to RS and walk thought the door with your "I know
>> what I'm looking for so don't bother asking me" look on your face....
>> as your trying to dodge all the remote control cars spread out across
>> the floor.... a sales clear manages to get in front of you only a few
>> feet away from the parts draws and asks "Can I help you find anything
>> today?"
>>
>> Since you were dumb enough to ask.... I do need your help!
>>
>> Me: "I need a 3 Pin Molex Connector"
>> Employee 1: "UHHhhhmmmm..... We don't carry those"
>> Me: "You did."
>> Employee 1: "UHHHhhmmmm.... Hey Todd! Maldrex connectors!?"
>> Employee 2: "Malfrix connectors? What are they?"
>> Me: "(Sigh) They are plastic connectors with metal pins, you crimp the
>> wires on the metal pins."
>> Employee 2: "We don't carry them."
>> Me: "You did, I bought some here a few weeks ago."
>> Employee 2: "We must be out."
>> Me: "If you don't know where they are or what they are how do you know
>> your out."
>> Employee 1: ......
>> Employee 2: ......
>> Me (opens draw takes out connectors): "here they are... ohhhh! You guys
>> call them Molded Nylon Connectors." Walks to register....
>> Employee 1: "Is that all?"
>> Me: "Yes"
>> Employee 1: "Do you need batteries with this?"
>> Me: "No"
>> Employee 1: Can I get you phone number?
>> Me: "No, it's unlisted"
>> Employee 1: We don't sell it we just use it to send out catalogs"
>> Me: "I'm all set."
>> Employee 1: "How is your Cell Phone Service?"
>> Me. "Fine"
>> Employee 1: "How many minutes do you get?"
>> Me. "I have no idea..."
>> Employee 1: "What if we could make you a better deal?"
>> Me: "NO, I would have to pay an early termination fee...."
>> Employee 1: "It might be worth it."
>> Me: I'm All Set!"
>> Long Pause....
>> Employee 1: "How about that Direct TV?"
>> Me: "Your kidding right!?
>>
>> Yes, as my wife as my witness, that's how one conversation went once.
>> At least when you go to McDonalds if they ask it you would like fries
>> with that and you say no, they don't try to sell you a drink, salad,
>> and desert!
>>
>> And Yes, I remember the tube tester in stores.... my farther owns one
>> now. And the Local Electronics Shop Still has one (and a decent stock

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com

Wasn't Archer Radio Shacks first line of products?

Never fails that when I'm buying parts from there the clerk will ask
"What you building?"
I always say I'm not Building anything; I'm repairing an arcade
machine.... that's where you can see almost all thought leave their
heads. Every now and then they might try and continue the conversation
by saying "Like a Pac Man Machine"
I always say "Yes Like a Pac Man Machine."

Some day I'm going to say I'm building a Bomb.... just to see what
happens next.

~Jeff
www.shootagainamusements.com

I hope I'm sorely mistaken about this. But doesnt' the current state
of Radio Shack reflect the trend AWAY from people experimenting with
electronics? How many people buy electronic components for fun and
knowledge anymore? I dare say is it is very few. Not enough to keep a
retail chain like Radio Shack going.

Oh, and what is Frys? We don't have them here in MI!

I ran a Radio Shack in 1969/1970 when they were still coming out of the
Allied Radio Shack situation, and we had full access to the Allied catalog
(like Mouser but with the addition of stereo ham and other equipment). Hell
you could build a missile guidance system from that thing, and we always had
a tech of some sort or serious hobbyist on staff at most stores that could
intelligently answer most any question, or knew what book to sell the
customer to find the answer.

--
Art

On 22 May 2005 07:15:00 -0700, micrologix1500@yahoo.com wrote:

>I hope I'm sorely mistaken about this. But doesnt' the current state
>of Radio Shack reflect the trend AWAY from people experimenting with
>electronics? How many people buy electronic components for fun and
>knowledge anymore? I dare say is it is very few. Not enough to keep a
>retail chain like Radio Shack going.

You've hit the nail on the head with that. Not near as many people fiddle with
this stuff for fun. Why build something when you can just buy a prepackaged one
for a few bucks? Heaven forbid you enjoy the sense of accomplishment from
having achieved something other than spending money. : ) Mind you this is core
to our chosen hobbies, most of us do this for the satisfaction of not only
playing the games, but repairing and restoring the games of our childhoods.

>Oh, and what is Frys? We don't have them here in MI!

Fry's is sort of what Radio Shack "could have been" in the early 80's - if you
mega-sized them. While it's obvious their main sellers are TV's and related
gear, stereos, some appliances, DVD's, CD's, computers and upgrades.. they also
have probably the best electronics component & supply selection you're going to
see in a store like this. They definitely fall short of the stock that a "real"
electronics supply would have, but it's hard to argue with being able to walk in
and find stuff like the nice rubber-style heat shrink tube in all the sizes and
a good stock of it, a whole wall of fuses, a good range of meters and test
instruments (good quality, Fluke etc.), and more. Their selection is pretty
damn good - considering it's obviously not their main focus. I sure miss the
one in Houston since I've moved away. They were only a couple miles from me.

Richard

Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com <artgames@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

: you could build a missile guidance system from that thing, and we always had
: a tech of some sort or serious hobbyist on staff at most stores that could
: intelligently answer most any question, or knew what book to sell the
: customer to find the answer.

Thanks for keeping this going Art. I've been thinking about this but was hesitant
to restart the thread.

If a 'younger' person is telling us about working at RS and selling cell
phones -- you don't know the RS we remember. I was a kid in the
80's, and realize there are generations before me with different memories
again. For me, Radio Shack was the story in the mall the geeks would hang
out it (and the book store). I'll bet for some of us there is still
a vestigial feeling of them ruining 'our' store -- like being run out of your
favorite bar.

There was a culture involved. This may give an idea:

http://www.westnet.com/~chris/ValleyGuy.mp3

http://www.atarimagazines.com/whizkids/

Usually you could get help along the same lines as at a hardware store: Walk
in with 2 things and ask how to connect the, fix them, make them better, and
actually get help.

I know RS had at least had techs to make their computers, I always assumed
at least some of their other stuff was designed in-house and not just
rebranded. For a number of years in the 80s many Radio Shacks also were
computer centers, with fairly extensive staffs designed to get small
businesses going with office computers.

There was also a feeling that if you bought something Radio Shack, you knew
you could always get it serviced wherever you were, because there was one in
every town.

Even as recently as the late 90's, it looked like RS was trying to revive
itself on the tech side with the Tech America brand, the whole catalog sales
parts. I bought a Tech America soldering station because of years of
experience of RS standing behind there stuff.

That soldering station lasted about 4 years, RS told me it was discontinued,
end of story. Evidently they discontinued their repair department too.

This is sort of rambling, but aside from parts, RS was also a service
store. It really seems they have removed everything that set them apart,
if you were a tech or not. No service, higher prices -- why should you go
there rather than a Best Buy, or order online ?

And it is sad.

http://www.westnet.com/

Art
"Christopher X. Candreva" <chris@westnet.com> wrote in message

> I know RS had at least had techs to make their computers,
The original computers were sourced from some other company, I forget which
at the moment.

I always assumed
> at least some of their other stuff was designed in-house and not just
> rebranded.

RS main focus was profit margins and they realized that if they made their
own unique stuff, they could set the price without fear of comparison
shopping

> There was also a feeling that if you bought something Radio Shack, you
> knew
> you could always get it serviced wherever you were, because there was one
> in
> every town.

Yeah, we had a little repair shop in the back room, would do quickie solder
jobs, restring dial cords (now you know how old I am :) and change tubes
in-store, and sent the hard jobs out to a regional repair depot

There actually were a number of stores like this that I remember for
electronics parts. Along with RS, we had Olsen's, Heathkit, and I'm sure
more. RS lasted the longest with the best supply and most locations. They
really had no choice but to re-invent themselves with all those throw-away
electronics being the only kind sold anymore. RS is now advertising heavily
that they sell printer ink and paper! To me that seems like the ultimate
deep-end. How much more un-electronic oriented can you get than printer
paper? I understand the cell phones, DirecTV, remote control toys, and
batteries. I wouldn't buy those things from there (except maybe
batteries--but we have Batteries Plus, too, which is a store that sells only
batteries!), but at least those items fits with the RS electronics heritage.
The marketing angle for all of these things--incl. the paper--is that they
have so many locations you can just go "around the corner" to get what you
need, and get in and out quickly from their small store. I'm not sure if
that will work, though.

Dane.

Ive noticed my local RS is a bad slide lately. Looks like the $$ is in
pushing cell phones and RC toys. Even worse the "real" electronics
supply place dropped two thirds of NTE numbers.

"Gary Vitagliano" <v-dog@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Ive noticed my local RS is a bad slide lately. Looks like the $$ is in
> pushing cell phones and RC toys. Even worse the "real" electronics
> supply place dropped two thirds of NTE numbers.

I forgot to talk about that in my post... Why do you think RS doesn't even
let you order the parts via catalog anymore? Sure the real hobbyists know
about DigiKey, et. al., but many others don't. I would think having a
catalog available--even online--would pay for itself because the items are
high margin. Plus RS would undoubtedly have a minimum order and a handling
fee, etc.

Art Mallet - Artfromny - formerly A218@aol.com <artgames@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

: The original computers were sourced from some other company, I forget which
: at the moment.

The TRS-80 I, II, III etc ? Wow, that's disappointing. I remember reading
supposed interviews with the guys who designed them, and they were presented
as working for Tandy directly.

http://www.westnet.com/