RAGE Suffering on PC; AMD Releases Optimized Driver

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]Now, I haven't played the game yet, but I'm speculating a bit here. I figure the executable just 32-bit technology, so with the high texture sizes, high resolutions, and considerable detail in the levels, they've rapidly hitting the 2gb limit of what a 32-bit process can access in Windows. However the streaming of the data is simply not sufficient to keep up with the game's data needs. It would indeed be interesting if an SSD would help that. Is there a 64-bit version of Rage? If so (and the person running it has plenty of RAM) it shouldn't have the same problems if it's coded right.I doubt the XBox o PS3 have this problem, since they're dealing with lower resolutions and (probably) lower texture detail. One or the other would reduce the amount of RAM needed to render an image considerably.[/citation]

The whole point of the rage engine is to allow unlimited texture size/details and remain within the limits by using the streaming quad-tree buffering etc. Read the tech demo white paper.

G

I have 3 ATI 5870's running a 3 monitor eyefinity setup. after installation game crashed on intro movie. I updated my drivers to current then updated again with the ATI Rage driver patch and game autodetected my 5760x1200 resolution looks fantastic actually gave me goosebumps!! Three screens no issues smooth as butter. Thanks ATI for the quick patch response!!!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]"unless you're on a laptop and installing drivers directly from AMD or Nvidia screws up the entire system, forcing you to wait on the OEM to maybe perhaps someday update their OEM drivers -end rant"YOU ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT!!!!#1 reason to *NOT* buy a laptop PC for gaming. Good luck getting updated proprietary VGA drivers for it.[/citation]
Depending on the brand and graphics setup, you can get mobile drivers directly from AMD/Nvidia with no problems. So while I personally prefer a desktop for gaming, there are people I know that travel as part of their job, and if you do your research you can get a proper gaming laptop that supports all the latest official drivers. Gaming laptops aren't generally very cheap, mind you. But even though I'm a pretty diehard desktop user, I understand there are specific cases where even a gamer would want a DTR laptop or whatnot.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]They should fix these issues as soon as possible to make sure that their engine gets licensed.[/citation]
ID Software has said they're done with licensing engines as it distracts them too much from their games.

farrow099

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Feels like a 2011 Diakatana reboot!

The game play is completely linear, you can't even jump over rubble!
Imaginary boundaries are everywhere in this game. It may as well be on rails like the much more impressive ipad game. (if you can remember back when Carmack did cool things with graphics hardware!)

The game feels exactly like Dead Island, aside from the crashing and various graphical issues that is.

G

Heck I wish I could get to video errors - I am still stuck on bad install errors "steam.exe(main exception) ERROR: deleted steam.exe file but file is still there"....Actually file is NOT there. Uninstalled avast antiv for NOTHING as network issues were apparently not at fault. Tried run steam install as admin etc - no install, same error. Tried compatability mode - same error. NOTHING WORKS!!! Steam updates but then craps all over itself over the deleted but not deleted steam.exe file. Used CC cleaner to purge all registry values to steam and then re install - did not work. How can they foist off such a glitchy install program off on users - their beta testing obviously was inadequate for win 64. How do you get a refund ater you have tried to install - ANSWER: you don't get one. Tnaks a bunch.

G

Texture poppiong was solved on day 2 and is no longer an issue, now there are no texture pops and also they can be made to look better on the pc version, simply by creating a config file with adjusted settings. Follow below link to get rid of the texture pop and get a sexier looking pc version.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

I have a gtx260 and use the below settings

vt_useCudaTranscode 2
vt_cudaBudget 16.6
vt_maxPPF 16
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

i play at 1680x150 with 8x aa and a q6600 chip not clocked. No texture pops at all now, also turn gpu transcode OFF in the game, to allow the config file to override it, otherwise it jerks like a c$%t.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Replying to the guy who's talking about games without issues. Mass Effect, Dragon Age: Origins,Red Alert 3, The Call of Duty series, Brothers in Arms series, Need For Speed (except underground 2 which needed a fix for the shadows) and I can go on if you want more examples. This game takes a considerable amount of space and it should be good right off the bat as it's been in development for a long, long time. I am seriously frustrated because after experiencing driver issues for so long, AMD and Nvidia haven't come up with a strategy to mitigate these issues

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]pxl9190[/nom]I think by now this fact is painfully apparent : DON'T BUY A BIG GAME ON RELEASE, (MOST OF THEM) ARE BOUND TO HAVE PROBLEMS.Instead : wait out for a few months, all the driver issues would have been worked out, patches released, a fair number of gamers paid to beta test for the publisher, and the game would $10 or so cheaper.save the trouble and a few pannies...[/citation]

The game will be figured out by then. By the time I got to play DAO, the game had it's own wiki detailing every corner in the game. When you play it on release, every body is talking about it and there's still room for you to achieve something unique.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]No graphic options is never a good sign and unacceptable for any PC game. BF3 Beta has been horrible too. That game hides behind the "beta" excuse, but releasing a beta less than a month before launch is inexcusable too because you know they're not going to fix the problems by then, and they're obvious issues that are taking away from otther issues that could've been stamped out through beta testing.[/citation]

I trust you know that development date and release date mustn't be the same. I also recall a very famous game in which the demo had no graphic settings, and a beta is worse because many of the features the final game would have are unavailable.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Seconded... Mass Effects had a few minor issues such as being stuck in the elevators in certain locations and Dragon Age was plagued with plot issues (broken quests/dialogues, etc. - still, nowhere as bad as Morrowind, for example) but it was all fixed within a couple of patches quickly. And it was nowhere as serious as this Rage issue.

G

I have aphenomx4 3.2 with a gtx560, and Rage rules big time on it, only have to put the aniso 8x so the game run fast and smooth. No probs at all. And I might add, Rage have the most impressive graphics I saw for a 1 fps. People who cry must get a better pc or continue on a console and accept that a recent pc is the new gen of gaming

G

texture popping got better after adding this into .cfg:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 16384
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 16384
vt_pageimagesizeunique 16384

Status
Not open for further replies.