Raid setup questions!

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all, can someone with raid experience please explain the best way to set up a raid setup with two ssds one a fresh one i just installed and one that is currently my c drive (i also have a HDD) i understand that setting up a raid will wipe both drives, so how do i setup a raid with a drive that currently holds all my program and windows files?

Thanks in advance

Solution

RAID is effective for only a few things.

First, if you using 4 or more drives (typical is 5) in RAID then any ONE drive fails you SWAP OUT without shutting down, and you never have 'failure' because the odds of 3 or more drives failing at one time is extremely small

Second, If your using 2 drives only, then Mirroring the drives allows that if one fails, you still...

RAID is effective for only a few things.

First, if you using 4 or more drives (typical is 5) in RAID then any ONE drive fails you SWAP OUT without shutting down, and you never have 'failure' because the odds of 3 or more drives failing at one time is extremely small

Second, If your using 2 drives only, then Mirroring the drives allows that if one fails, you still have the 2nd drive and your data intact and can boot off the Mirror drive as long as you install a NEW drive to then become the Mirror - very "you must know what your doing steps"

Three Consolidating into ONE letter drive multiple drives, but at the expense of any 'differences'. So if you had a 1,000GB drive, a 250GB Drive, and a 500GB drive, the most you would have is about 750GB ONE LETTER drive, instead of three seperate drives. But they also would slow down to the slowest speed (the 250GB is say a old 5400RPM) and lowest amount of space.

SSDs, unless you do option 1 have no real use for consumers use fo RAID. RAID 0 will SLOW DOWN SSDs not make them 'faster'. You will (as mentioned) KILL the SSD alot faster using RAID because of the ENORMOUS R/W RAID does. And most of all you will waste the main 'features' of RAID on SSDs. SSDs don't normally fail, RAIDS FAIL <and BREAK> - which means the data is permanently UNrecoverable. Think of RAID like a jigsaw puzzle, a few pieces lost and you can't ever solve the puzzle is all it takes, same for RAID, couple parts 'broke' or 'lost' and poof, everything is gone completely.

Solution

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
well you guys have certainly reaffirmed my prior thoughts about raid, should have trusted my original opinion rather than, the convincing opinions of friends haha. Ive instead decided to redirect all my steam files to the second drive to free up 330GB haha. Cheers everyone