G

I'm putting together my first system and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything ok.

I've got an Abit KT7A-Raid and 2 IBM 75GXP hard drives. I set both drives as master and connected one to IDE 3 and the other to IDE 4. I have a DVD and CDRW in a master slave config hooked up to IDE 1.

So.. tomorrow, when my CPU finally gets here and I can set everything up I'm not sure what I'm going to be faced with. I know I've got to set everything up first in the BIOS and that's all outlined in the manual. However, I didn't see anything about partitions. When I go to partition my drives how is it going to show up? 2 45GB drives? 1 90GB drive? I'm guessing it will be 1 90GB drive... does anyone have any recommendations on how to partition it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aaron

G

Just make sure that ONLY your hard drives are on that Raid card. When you Assign the Array, yes you will see only one Drive. I use FDisk to partition the drives to the desired size.

mongoose

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
I have the same set up you describe....mine were 45GB drives. As I recall, when I set up the array, it showed up on the BIOS as 90GB but then after WinME got done formatting, it showed up just fine as I expected....a single 45GB drive C. I never had to do anything in DOS with FDISK....I guess WinME took care of that? It took about 15-30 minutes for the format. I would be interested in what you find out about partitioning. I, too, could find nothing about reason why or if there is a distinct performance need, how to maximize a particular system. I searched Partition Magic's site and am in the process of going through this forum to see what I can dredge up....so far not much. Good luck with your system.

Hey! these are EASY questions....anybody out there?

TRENDING THREADS