peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

I see three products at the moment that offer Raid5 IDE solution. Adaptec and 3Ware with UATA66 Raid5 and Promise, with UATA100 Raid 5.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these cards, or raid 5IDE?

I'm using Raid10 (or 0,1 if you prefer) and would like to recover my 'lost disk'!

Thx,

Pete.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I have the SuperTrak100 along with adaptec's 2400...Having problems getting the speed up with them. Right now my single drive will kick it's a$$ in anybench mark I put in front of the two.

I am calling both companies tomorrow to find out what is set up wrong....let you know then.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Wow, a post from my past!

Thanks for the info - I didn't get the card yet, still running my raid 10 card. Performance is good (sustained over 20MB/s) which I think is fair.

To be honest I'm more concerned with data security than blistering performance...

G

Storagereview.com had a review of the two hardware based IDE RAID cards (3ware & Promise Supertrak) a few months back. The Promise card blew big chunks, it was among the most lopsided reviews I've seen.

You probably want to stay away from software based solutions if performance is a concern.

I have a 3ware 6200 card, but I'm just using RAID1.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Thanks - I'm using hardware raid 10 right now, I just wanted to get that extra disk back to put my array up to 240GB useable. Currently it seems kinda dumb losing 150GB to tolerance...

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I Finally got better scores out of these controllers. I put in a couple of old Maxtor's and the benchmarks more than doubled. Should have all new Maxtor's Friday. I'll post final results.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

G

>I Finally got better scores out of these controllers. I
>put in a couple of old Maxtor's and the benchmarks more
>than doubled. Should have all new Maxtor's Friday. I'll
>post final results.

What kind of MB do you have these controllers on?
I had really crappy performance out of my 3ware until I flashed the bios of my Iwill KK266 (Via KT133A).

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.