Question Rainbow Six Siege FPS Stuttering

Jul 4, 2022
Been trying to fix my game stutter for a while. I've tried pretty much everything. Heres a list of what I've tried.

• Basic PC troubleshooting steps (from the Ubisoft Help website)
  • Basic connectivity troubleshooting steps
  • Clean Boot
  • SFC Scan
  • Reinstalling the game
  • Running the game with admin rights
  • Disabling in-game overlays
  • Disabled full screen optimization
  • Disabling anti-virus, Vulkan and non-Vulkan
  • Changing power modes between low / high
  • Changing the priority of the game between low / normal / above normal / high
  • Changing the performance settings in the Nvidia Control Panel
  • Switching Vsync on / off
  • Limiting the FPS
  • Clearing the DLSS Shader cache and increasing the size of the chace
  • Changing the in-game settings
My specs:
GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Gigabyte)
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4 1066MHz
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750W maybe?
MOBO: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B150M-DS3H-CF (U3E1)
CPU Cooler: no clue but it's massive
SSD: 476GB SPCC Solid State Disk (SATA (SSD))
HDD 1: 931GB Seagate ST1000DX001-1NS162 (SATA )

Sorry I can't remember my specs I build this pc 6 years ago. The issue only happens on siege. When I limit my fps the stutters tend to decrease, however they're still present. My temps average around 35-40 degrees celsius.

I've tried contacting ubisoft support multiple times and sadly the issue was not resolved. I've also tried these three guides

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/connectivity-and-performance/article/troubleshooting-technical-issues-on-pc/000061047

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/rainbow-six-siege/connectivity-and-performance/article/troubleshooting-connectivity-issues-in-rainbow-six-siege-pc/000078839

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/rainbow-six-siege/connectivity-and-performance/article/performance-issues-in-rainbow-six-siege-on-pc/000062514

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just thought it might help.

I wonder if its the GPU drivers? you don't seem to have tried different driver versions? maybe its worth a try?

you could run DDU in safe mode, remove current drivers and on restart,
either get new drivers from Nvidia, or
run windows update and let windows find older Nvidia drivers to use instead.

Jul 4, 2022
i just thought it might help.

I wonder if its the GPU drivers? you don't seem to have tried different driver versions? maybe its worth a try?

you could run DDU in safe mode, remove current drivers and on restart,
either get new drivers from Nvidia, or
run windows update and let windows find older Nvidia drivers to use instead.
A driver update is what fixed the issue last time i'll try this thanks

Jul 4, 2022
Okay uhhhhh new problem I booted into safe mode via system configuration like a fool and now my pc only shows a black screen ahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 4, 2022
Yeah ahahah I plugged in the boot drive and my pc went back to normal thankfully. DDU worked fine I tried running the old driver windows installed and it still stutters.

Jul 4, 2022
how often does it stutter?

what drive is the game on? not sure if it make any difference.

do you mean windows power modes or something else?
Nvidia power management mode?
or power settings in windows?
Roughly every 15 seconds or so after I play for a bit, SSD drive, Windows power settings

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

it doesn't delete anything, it just stops non microsoft programs running at startup, easily reversesd.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

could also change the power settings of the gpu.
open nvidia control panel
click Manage 3d settings
scroll down to Power Management Mode & change it to Prefer Maximum Performance,
click apply/save

Jul 4, 2022
Okay so I found the root cause of the issue. When I play siege the temp sits at around 65 degrees and when the stutter happens it drops to around 40-50 degrees.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When I play siege the temp sits at around 65 degrees and when the stutter happens it drops to around 40-50 degrees.
on what? CPU?
if its CPU its likely thermal throttling

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Gigabyte)
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz

64c is max temp CPU can run at - https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...r-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz/specifications.html

What air cooler are you using?
CPU Cooler: no clue but it's massive

Have you cleaned dust from inside it recently? need to try to reduce temps inside case, cleaning all the fans helps there too.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022