Question RAM advice for Intel NUC 12 Extreme Mini PC ?

Sep 16, 2022
I have an Intel NUC 12 Extreme i9 Mini PC that uses SODIMM 260 Pin Memory Modules.

Intel advertised compatibility with the G.SKILL F4-3200C18D-32GRS with XMP at CL 18

Unfortunately after some digging and other users reporting the same issues, CL18 is not being achieved for various potential reasons.

I had a spare set of Patriot RAM lying around and after grabbing a couple of CPU-Z readings on both, thought I'd ask which you'd recommend between both (including memory controller frequency, and why it's double in the Patriot, and all the other timings) ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Attached comparison screenshots:

u5BCRpH.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Intel NUC 12 Extreme i9 Mini PC that uses SODIMM 260 Pin Memory Modules.

Intel advertised compatibility with the G.SKILL F4-3200C18D-32GRS with XMP at CL 18

Unfortunately after some digging and other users reporting the same issues, CL18 is not being achieved for various potential reasons.

I had a spare set of Patriot RAM lying around and after grabbing a couple of CPU-Z readings on both, thought I'd ask which you'd recommend between both (including memory controller frequency, and why it's double in the Patriot, and all the other timings) ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Attached comparison screenshots:

u5BCRpH.jpeg
Update the bios if needed and see if it makes a diff.

Sep 16, 2022
Update the bios if needed and see if it makes a diff.

Thanks for your answer.

I updated the BIOS on the G.SKILL to XMP Profile 1 and to SPD Profile (vs. current on Auto). It pretty much stays the same. The Patriot doesn't allow me to change and modify any settings.

Should I keep the G.SKILL with a 1T Command Rate but higher CAS at 24 (not sure what the Mem. Controller Frequency and the FSB-DRAM are and how they affect perforamnce).

Essentially my question is which RAM module should I keep in my machine given those two sets of number data points.

Thanks again

Thanks for your answer.

I updated the BIOS on the G.SKILL to XMP Profile 1 and to SPD Profile (vs. current on Auto). It pretty much stays the same. The Patriot doesn't allow me to change and modify any settings.

Should I keep the G.SKILL with a 1T Command Rate but higher CAS at 24 (not sure what the Mem. Controller Frequency and the FSB-DRAM are and how they affect perforamnce).

Essentially my question is which RAM module should I keep in my machine given those two sets of number data points.

Thanks again
Perhaps the best way is to benchmark with each set of ram and see if there is a diff in perf.

Reactions: gskill support
Sep 16, 2022
Perhaps the best way is to benchmark with each set of ram and see if there is a diff in perf.
Thanks will definitely be doing that the practical testing this weekend.

From a theoretical pov is there an advnatage given one set of data points of one module over the other? Why is the G.SKILL Mem Controller frequency half that of the Patriot? Is it related to the Command Rate of 1T? And is one set of number theoretically more advantageous than the other?

Thanks again

Thanks will definitely be doing that the practical testing this weekend.

From a theoretical pov is there an advnatage given one set of data points of one module over the other? Why is the G.SKILL Mem Controller frequency half that of the Patriot? Is it related to the Command Rate of 1T? And is one set of number theoretically more advantageous than the other?

Thanks again
Beats me........I try to stay away from the weenie stuff.

Too much pain.