Question RAM at 6400 failing after a year

keithth

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I've got a 7950x machine with a Gigabyte x670 aorus elite AX motherboard with G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory in A2+B2. Running it with XMP profile at 6400. No overclocking in use.

The mobo is on the latest bios and the memory is on the QVL.

Machine has worked great for a year and just started to blue screen with CACHEMANAGER. Memtested it, and one stick fails tests 3+4 almost immediately. Pull that stick, leaving the other one in A2. Works fine at 6400. Put the potentially bad stick back in A2 by itself, fails at 6400 immediately.

Turned off XMP, memtest ran overnight at 4800 just fine w both sticks.

Can a stick go bad in such a way that it just loses its top end like that? I could see if 6400 never worked, then maybe I'm running into some compatibility issue, but for it work fine for a year..... and then all of a sudden have a hard problem like that?

I'm inclined to send it back to g.skill.

Thanks

keithth

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
No clue. I just flipped the profile from xmp disabled to xmp 1, which was my only choice. Didn't mess w any timings or voltages. Honestly don't know enough to know ideal settings.

I adjusted the system multipler to 60 from 48 and rerunning memtest now.

Reactions: MEMOFLEX

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
No clue. I just flipped the profile from xmp disabled to xmp 1, which was my only choice. Didn't mess w any timings or voltages. Honestly don't know enough to know ideal settings.

I adjusted the system multipler to 60 from 48 and rerunning memtest now.
You shouldn't have to do anything to be honest. I just think sometimes motherboards can be a bit naughty in the settings they use. This is normally with the voltage for the cpu though and is why I asked about the SOC voltage as sometimes enabling XMP / DOCP can cause the motherboard to give the chip too much juice.

Defo worth checking to make sure too much voltage is not being given and contributing towards the RAM issues you are encountering.