RAM clock speed listed as 3200, but only showing as 1066?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ptrthgr8

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi, all.

I installed HWiNFO64 for the first time this morning to help troubleshoot another issue I was having and the moment it first opened up I noticed it shows my RAM clock speed as being 1066MHz, rather than the listed 3200MHz it should be.

Here are my system specs:

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932
Motherboard: ASRock FATAL1TY Z170 GAMING K4
CPU: Intel I7-6700
GPU: Gigabyte GAMING-4GD GTX 970
CPU cooling: Stock I7-6700 fan
RAM: G.SKILL 32GB (2 x 16GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

I've been running this system for about a month now and haven't noticed any issues. It's certainly an upgrade from the previous system I was running (using the same HAF 932 case and same GPU):

Motherboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme
CPU: Intel i7 980 3.33GHz (OC to 3.47 GHz by builder)
CPU cooling: Asetek 570LX
RAM: 24GB (4GBx6) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 TRX-1200M 1200W

I wasn't aware of any memory issues on the old system and I'm not noticing any issues with the new upgrades - everything seems to be running better and faster than it was with the previous config, but perhaps that's just the difference between the older and newer CPUs?

When I fired up HWiNFO64 this morning this is the screen I looked at first:

HWiNFO64summary-vi.jpg

The RAM clock speed should be 3200MHz, right? Not 1066? I know next to nothing about messing around with BIOS settings, but I did enter the BIOS to see if there was anything obviously wrong (to me anyhow) with the memory settings, but I saw that the SDRAM handling was set to "Auto." I assume that should be good?

I then went into the Win10 task manager to look at the Performance tab. Here's what I see:

TaskManPerf-vi.jpg

Here it's showing the speed to be 2133MHz, which is faster than what's reported in HWiNFO64, but still much less than the 3200MHz at which it should be running.

So, I am in need of assistance. I am a complete noob when it comes to troubleshooting RAM or BIOS issues, so I don't really even know where to begin... other than here, of course. :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

~ Greg ~