[SOLVED] RAM compatibility for MSI X570 Motherboard

23dexter89

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hi Experts,

Switching from Intel i5 6600k to AMD Ryzen 3700X. Planning to Change the CPU,RAM and Motherboard. My RAM and Motherboard options are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE (WIFI)

RAM: Team T-Force Dark Zα 16GB (2x8GB) 4000MHz

I'm new to AMD (Always been an Intel-person) and have ZERO experience with Over clocking anything. Can I attach the 4000MHz RAM to this Board without fiddling with any settings?

Solution
4000MHz might be a stretch. For guaranteed compatibility, opt for either G.Skill FlareX (specifically designed for Ryzen) or a kit listed on the motherboards QVL.

Compatibility for Ryzen has improved over time, and 3600MHz is the 'recommended' speed from AMD - you'll find a lot of the 3600MHz kits will work, but it can still be a bit of a mixed bag.

4000MHz, unless specifically noted as Ryzen compatible*, may or may not work by simply enabling XMP/D.O.C.P, only way to know is to try.

*I don't recall seeing any 4000MHz kits specifically stated to be Ryzen compatible (FlareX etc), but could be wrong.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
4000MHz might be a stretch. For guaranteed compatibility, opt for either G.Skill FlareX (specifically designed for Ryzen) or a kit listed on the motherboards QVL.

Compatibility for Ryzen has improved over time, and 3600MHz is the 'recommended' speed from AMD - you'll find a lot of the 3600MHz kits will work, but it can still be a bit of a mixed bag.

4000MHz, unless specifically noted as Ryzen compatible*, may or may not work by simply enabling XMP/D.O.C.P, only way to know is to try.

*I don't recall seeing any 4000MHz kits specifically stated to be Ryzen compatible (FlareX etc), but could be wrong.

Solution

23dexter89

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

The Item Item is said to be "For AMD" - https://www.teamgroupinc.com/en/product/dark-z-alpha-ddr4 I don't know how valid these claims are though.

Based on what I've read on the web so far, 3200MHz is the only "Stock Speed" I can use with the Board, therefore I have an option to go with a G.SKILL TRIDENTZ (2 X 8GB).

However, If i am to go with the Optimum solution of 3600MHz, I'd have to do some O.C. and I have no idea on how to go about it.