Question RAM compatibility

Sep 5, 2022
I'm currently running an Intel 10th gen platform, and i have 16GB (2x8) 2133Mhz RAM on it that i re-used from my older pc.

Now since i'm considering to upgrade my memory, and the best bang-for-buck DDR4 that i can get in my country are 2x16GB 2666/3000 mhz kits. I know that different ram speeds between each pair of sticks are no big deal, all of them will simply run at the slower ones clock speed.

So my main question is, if i buy additional 32GB, add it on my current system, will the 48GB setup run just fine? or is it best to use only the new 32GB that i will buy, and upgrade later if needed? I know people who used to run odd configurations such as 10GB DDR3 systems (2x4 + 2x1) without any problems.

Also, please avoid commenting "maybe this, maybe that, there is always a risk" etc. I know you guys all have different experiences and opinions. Simply say what would you do if you were in my place.

Last edited:
I assume you have already decided you are going to 32 minimum.

I'd buy a new 32 gb kit.

Remove old RAM

Install just the new RAM.

Evaluate on your typical tasks.

Add the old 16 to the new 32, for a total of 48.

Re-evaluate on your typical tasks.

Compare the two evaluations.

Would there be any reason you would not do that comparison?

It may be that you couldn't tell the difference. If so, so be it, and maybe sell the old 16.

Reactions: Petrashko
Sep 5, 2022
It may be that you couldn't tell the difference between 32 and 48 GB on your typical tasks.

My pc's typical task is entertainment: games, movies, etc. If 32 GB will be enough for the next 5-6 years, then it's even better! I can simply buy an additional 2x8GB kit and invest the saved money on a future GPU or more storage.

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! :D

Lafong has a good suggestion. ^^^

Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

To verify that the extra 16gb is truly operational,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If you have a motherboard that can adjust ram voltage, issues may possibly be compensated for by raising the ram voltage in the bios.

TRENDING THREADS