Question Ram compatiblity in OC

Jan 7, 2020
first of all, i know its old hw, so i think it should be well known here:

its an older architecture i want to build, so i guess it s good known here

i want to use as platform (mobo) the p9x79 deluxe in combination with the 4930k (to ensure the pci-e 3.0 compatibility), no question about that.

my problems are the rams, cause i want to use the full possible performance in timings and speed with the max of capacity (64 gb)
as the used market gives all that parts to a good price available.

my plan is to use the F3-2400C10D-16GTX TridentX from GSkill
all identical rams for sure 8x8 gb at 2400 mhz OC with the recommend timings from the producer DDR3-2400MHz CL10-12-12 @ 1.65V
-> 2 x Quad Channel

i read so many different opinions and problems in the net, especially when i want to go to the capacity and oc boarders.

What do u think about my chances to get that stable running, with the given components?
or would u recommend me more the equivalents from GSkill:

RipjawsZ or RipjawsX

witch all has the same specs, at least about timings and mhz. and btw, i really wonder, why GSkill is producing so different Rams with equal specs. what i found out already, is that it has to do with the chipset and sandy/ivy bridge variation recommendations from GSkill, and exactly that is what confused me so much.

for every help or experience sharing, i would be very thankful.

nice greetings from germany
xanonx

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums!

Either kit will be the same, since it's just a different heat spreader or a colored sticker atop the sticks. I would advise against spending money on older hardware and more so when the cost of DDR3 is much higher than DDR4 where the speeds for DDR4 are much better for the same price point.

Jan 7, 2020
thx lutfij primary for your fast reply, so u think it makes no difference if i take the RipjawsZ, RipjawsX or TridentX? what do u think about that what i found out already in the internet about the recommendations for the different platforms? do u think that's negligible?

and for your second tip, sorry when i contra-dict. in that case u do the same mistake than most others in the internet do. u forget the much higher latencies... not even to talk about the price (as i said, i can get them to very good used prices, not comparable to the available ddr4s...,
here a little example: Ripjaws/TridentX DDR3-2400MHz CL10-12-12 vs Ripjaws DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4-2400MHz CL16-16-16 and that are even low mhz rams in ddr4, look the higher tacted 29xx+ mhz and calculate how much mhz they need to have more to compensate that higher timings, and the much more higher prices for a 64 gb kid from the same series, just btw and nvm).
i am not the opinion that less slots with bigger bars and higher timings will perform better, even if they have more mhz. i want this much higher bandwidth (plus 2 x quad channel) with lower timings.... but that's nothing i want to discuss over, thx anyways for your opinion.

What i need to know is if that will run stable together, or do i oversee any hw restrictions regarding full banks occupy-city and max oc speed and timings of the rams?

All tips are welcome, also from other readers... thx in advanced
PS: if somebody had or have already this build as described obove, i would be very interested to hear your opinion or to chat with u.

Last edited:
thx lutfij primary for your fast reply, so u think it makes no difference if i take the RipjawsZ, RipjawsX or TridentX? what do u think about that what i found out already in the internet about the recommendations for the different platforms? do u think that's negligible?

and for your second tip, sorry when i contra-dict. in that case u do the same mistake than most others in the internet do. u forget the much higher latencies... not even to talk about the price (as i said, i can get them to very good used prices, not comparable to the available ddr4s...,
here a little example: Ripjaws/TridentX DDR3-2400MHz CL10-12-12 vs Ripjaws DDR4 SO-DIMM DDR4-2400MHz CL16-16-16 and that are even low mhz rams in ddr4, look the higher tacted 29xx+ mhz and calculate how much mhz they need to have more to compensate that higher timings, and the much more higher prices for a 64 gb kid from the same series, just btw and nvm).
i am not the opinion that less slots with bigger bars and higher timings will perform better, even if they have more mhz. i want this much higher bandwidth (plus 2 x quad channel) with lower timings.... but that's nothing i want to discuss over, thx anyways for your opinion.

What i need to know is if that will run stable together, or do i oversee any hw restrictions regarding full banks occupy-city and max oc speed and timings of the rams?

All tips are welcome, also from other readers... thx in advanced
PS: if somebody had or have already this build as described obove, i would be very interested to hear your opinion or to chat with u.
DDR4 is much faster than DDR3, where you do you see the opposite? DDR4 have 3600 C14 and 5200Mhz C18 which is waay faster than any DDR3 module. 3600 C14 is waay faster than 2400 C10. You can compare their bandwidth GB/s.

Your CPU is still decent as for the RAM, running anything over 2 modules will downlock the RAM, you are trying to run 8 DDR3 modules at 2400Mhz. I doubt it will will work. Its not worth it even if you are getting DDR3 for really cheap.

Jan 7, 2020
thx zizo for your reply.
again, i dont want to discuss that ddr4 is faster than dd3 if u take the right some specs... no question about that, its a budget question, not only about the rams, also the cpu and mb and the endowment, i need that 64 gb for my professional work. AND I REPEAT AGAIN: I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS ABOUT THAT. thx for considering and respecting that.

now lets come to your second for me interesting statement pls.
"Your CPU is still decent as for the RAM, running anything over 2 modules will downclock the RAM, you are trying to run 8 DDR3 modules at 2400Mhz. I doubt it will work"

why not? pls precise it. even smaller cpus i ran already 6 rams 2x3 tripple channel flawless. but i agree, not in that high mhz clock. thats exactly what i want to know guys. so u think that CPU is not able to handle 2 times quad channel (2x4 dimms) with full performance of the ram bars? what is the reason, can u explain pls? and do u got any idea what would be the max mhz i can get out of it in that constellation?

thx in advanced

Last edited:
thx zizo for your reply.
again, i dont want to discuss that ddr4 is faster than dd3 if u take the right some specs... no question about that, its a budget question, not only about the rams, also the cpu and mb and the endowment, i need that 64 gb for my professional work. AND I REPEAT AGAIN: I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS ABOUT THAT. thx for respecting that.

now lets come to your second for me interesting statement pls.
"Your CPU is still decent as for the RAM, running anything over 2 modules will downclock the RAM, you are trying to run 8 DDR3 modules at 2400Mhz. I doubt it will will work "

why not? pls precise it. even smaller cpus i ran already 6 rams 2x3 tripple channel flawless. but i agree, not in that high mhz clock. thats exactly what i want to know guys. so u think that CPU is not able to handle 2 times quad channel (2x4 dimms) with full performance of the ram bars? what is the reason, can u explain pls? and do u got any idea what would be the max mhz i can get out of it in that constalation?

thx in advanced
Every motherboard and CPU is different but for sure you won't get full speed with 8 modules as its harder on the CPU, you would need something like a TR, Xeon or EPYC.

Jan 7, 2020
mh.

basic recommendations:

Memory Specifications

• Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 64 GB
  • Memory Types DDR3 1333/1600/1866
  • Max # of Memory Channels 4
  • Max Memory Bandwidth 59.7 GB/s
so u think more than 4 dimms the cpu cant handle?

so if i want 64 gb i need 4x16 gb, and than the 1866mhz will be the max the cpu can handle, even in oc modus?

Are there any experiences out there that can proof this suggestion?

Jan 7, 2020
mh.... look what wonders me is just that my current sys is:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Supports 3 channel DDR3 2100+ memory x2
with the Core i7-980
  • Max. Speichergröße (abhängig vom Speichertyp) 24 GB
  • Speichertypen DDR3 1066
  • Max. Anzahl der Speicherkanäle 3
and i run it with with KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX x2 (9-9-9-27) = 24gb @ 1600mhz

surely i needed to overclock my CPU, and i know not every CPU is same clock friendly like each other, but when i compare the specs, i am much out of the basic recommendations.

was a little nervy and stressful to find the right frequency, multiplier and power values, but since that time it runs good and stable at 3,84 ghz on 6 cores.

the build i want to do is much more newer and clock friendlier.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020
@ZIZO, first of all, u was right, there are no 16gb ddr3 bars. i also checked your previous post: "you would need something like a TR, Xeon or EPYC."

the epyc is amd, wont work with the x79 chipset (intel) of my board, even not the same socket. TR? i dont know what's that, but i checked the available xeons for my socket. and non of them brings the performance the 4930k brings, regarding clockspeed, supported ram modules and max. ram clocks... some are equal, but not more... if it wont work with the 4930k i also doubt it will work with them, just btw. ;)

but hey, thx for sharing me your opinion, its quite appreciated anyways.

If anybody else has some experiences or suggestions?

Reactions: Zizo007
Jan 16, 2020
Hello Guys.
I have maybe same problem like XanonX and i like to know what you think of it.
I have:
intel 3930k
MSI x79a GD65 8D motherboard v1.1 with latest bios
MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
Kingstone 1866 XMP memory 4x4 GB RAM
Seasonic X-series PSU 760 80 GOLD

I like to upgrade my PC but maybe after a year. First i will buy in march or june new nvidia 3070 card
then i will upgrade all pc parts, but i have think ,if i buy 4x8GB 2400mhz modules can i prolong the life maybe for two years?
Is 2400/2133mhz XMP profile? Like 1600/1866 on my Kingstone RAM modules. How much will 3930k overclock and will it even work and be stable?
Sorry for eng and thx for help.

Hello Guys.
I have maybe same problem like XanonX and i like to know what you think of it.
I have:
intel 3930k
MSI x79a GD65 8D motherboard v1.1 with latest bios
MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6G
Kingstone 1866 XMP memory 4x4 GB RAM
Seasonic X-series PSU 760 80 GOLD

I like to upgrade my PC but maybe after a year. First i will buy in march or june new nvidia 3070 card
then i will upgrade all pc parts, but i have think ,if i buy 4x8GB 2400mhz modules can i prolong the life maybe for two years?
Is 2400/2133mhz XMP profile? Like 1600/1866 on my Kingstone RAM modules. How much will 3930k overclock and will it even work and be stable?
Sorry for eng and thx for help.
You will need a good CPU cooler to overclock your 3930K as its 130W TDP at stock base clocks not Turbo.
6 Cores won't be enough for two years in games. BFV already saturates a 6 core. 8 cores are recommended for 64 player online. Maybe it can hold for two years if you avoid highly threaded games.
Your 3930K will bottleneck an RTX 3070 but you can minimize the bottleneck with overclocking.

zx128k

Reputable
A 4930k IMC will not always like 2400. The Quad Channel memory on this board is decent enough. My overclocked 4930k has better latancy and bandwidth better than my DDR4 3800 RAM kit running on my 3800x. 60ns vs 63ns and 60GBs vs 56GBs memory copy approx.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2020
You will need a good CPU cooler to overclock your 3930K as its 130W TDP at stock base clocks not Turbo.
6 Cores won't be enough for two years in games. BFV already saturates a 6 core. 8 cores are recommended for 64 player online. Maybe it can hold for two years if you avoid highly threaded games.
Your 3930K will bottleneck an RTX 3070 but you can minimize the bottleneck with overclocking.

Thx for fast replay
Today i will go for watercooler Corsair H150i and try to overcloakit for 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz if i win silicon lotery. But what about that RAM? Should i buy g.skill 8x4 GB 2400 Mhz kit or let it be an survive on my HyperX kingstone series? Thats the main question :D thx

Thx for fast replay
Today i will go for watercooler Corsair H150i and try to overcloakit for 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz if i win silicon lotery. But what about that RAM? Should i buy g.skill 8x4 GB 2400 Mhz kit or let it be an survive on my HyperX kingstone series? Thats the main question :D thx
I wouldn't run 8 sticks as it will certainly not clock high like 2400. 4x4Gb is enough for everything, you don't need 32Gb of RAM unless you need it for professional work.

Jan 16, 2020
I wouldn't run 8 sticks as it will certainly not clock high like 2400. 4x4Gb is enough for everything, you don't need 32Gb of RAM unless you need it for professional work.

Thx for advice. I am trying now to overclock 3930k to highter rates but i dont know if i shud go with voltage highter or lower. New to this and if i overclock to 4,3Ghz with command center i think the OC Genie put it all the time back to 4,0 Ghz and 1,35V

TRENDING THREADS