Question RAM Dual Channel - Single

Feb 28, 2019
Hi, i have VENGEANCE LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz - though they will not dual channel no matter what i do (ram button on mobo to try sort it out, tweaks in bios for fequency and other functions, reset cpu as might be messed up and not allowing dual) .. it wont work no matter what i do (honestly my mobo has pins bent at cpu so prob that)

though the 2x sticks work in single channel. so 16gb single channel. is it bad for performance 16gb in single channel in anyway and should i take 1 stick out and just leave 8gb single channel for now? thank you all

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
single channel won't hurt anything.
you just won't be getting the better performance of dual channel.

bent pins could be causing a memory controller issue with the CPU, if it's on the motherboard itself, can look into getting a replacement board for your system.

Dual channel should be having the two sticks with one in each channel, (channels being lettered A, B, C, D, etc.) and should be on the same number in each channel (i.e. A1 + B1, or A2 + B2)
Just in case you didn't know how to do dual channel.

Also, XMP profile should be set in BIOS, if XMP doesn't work, can manually set the speed, timings, and voltage to what's printed on the labels of the sticks themselves.

If running on Ryzen, need to enable DOCP.

Feb 28, 2019
Thank you. I should of noted it was working at one stage until I changed case, then bent pins.

I tried the XMP profiles and some other tweaks and the behaviour did change a little however it ultimatly would RED led on the memory on mobo and not good.

It could be i need to tweak some more, however the fact that it used to work without needing ti to anything, i think ive messed it up for good.

Appreciate the response.