Question RAM experiment on older system

Jan 1, 2020
I really like keeping my older systems useful, and in this vein am currently focused on a 2011 HP Pavilion Elite HPE 590-t, and want to see if I can turn it into a 1080p capable gaming rig. This will rely entirely on the GPU options/capabilities, as I'm maxed out on the processor and RAM for this motherboard/chipset per its specs, and I've posted separately in the GPU forum about that.

However... I've had good luck on occasion in the past experimenting with exceeding the RAM specs given by the MOBO manufacturer, allowing me to double the max ram for older systems and keep them relevant longer. Given that (from what I can see, on the basis of some light looking) there are 8gb and (possibly?) 16b sticks available that are compatible, and the prices are so low, I'm considering experimenting with this for this system. If it fails, it won't hurt, but if it doesn't, I could double the RAM for this old system, in addition to upgrading the GPU.

Still, I try not to be, you know - stupid. So I thought I would double check here, with my informational betters.

As in:

1. If you happen to already know, unequivocally, that it would be a waste of time for this system/motherboard, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

2. Any other concerns/possibilities/constraints that might be relevant.

Here are all the specifics on the system:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE 590-t
Product number XX096AV#ABA
Manufacturer's motherboard name: Pegatron IPMTB-TK
HP/Compaq motherboard name: Truckee-UL8E
Chipset: Intel X58 Express
Two PCI Express 2.0 x16 graphics slots

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 X 990 @ 3.47 GHz
RAM: 24GB (6 x 4 GB) DDR3 PC3-10600 (messaged as PC3-8500) (Non-ECC required)
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GT 440 (1.5GB)
PSU: 460 Watt

This system has been a workhorse. I do a lot with video ripping/conversions (30tb+ on my home media server) and I've used it as my set and forget batch processing video conversion workstation for years. It's also getting slightly harder to purchase systems with a blu-ray drive installed (which this one has), and this is a must for me, for digitizing my purchased Blu-Rays (My wife's Korean, so I like to buy a lot of my movies as foreign versions with Korean subtitles, when I can.) I plan to keep using this system till it breaks.

Many thanks in advance for the assist.

Ralston18

Titan
The guiding documentation is the motherboard's specs.

I found:

https://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/HP/IPMTB-TK_(Truckee)/3794

Do verify that the link is indeed your motherboard.

Note the red box/buttons for "Compatible CPUs" and "Compatible GPUs".

Compare what you now have to any other products that may prove favorable.

And keep track of the wattage requirements: that 460 Watt PSU (make and model, age, condition?) may not be enough.

Jan 1, 2020
Understood, and thanks much. I'll just give it a go and see what happens. Agreed on the PSU and I plan to upgrade along with the GPU.

Thanks again.

Third-Eye

Distinguished
You are limited to 4GB modules on your board and it supports 6x4GB for 24GB total. It might also be limited to low density only modules which would be 8 chips per side instead of 4 for high density. The newer ddr3 modules tend to be high density so you will have check them before buying. Unless your bios supports memory overclock, you probably can't use faster than DDR3 1066Mhz.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS