Ram is being hardware reserved

Sep 15, 2018
So I just bought a new rig and I've tried a lot and nothing seems to work. My ram is showing up as 7.95 usable out of the 16gbs. Ive tried the msconfig and the memory test. Ive also tried updating the bios and changing the speed to 2666Mhz. ram is Corsair DDR4 2x8GB, 3000MHz. I should also mention that I tried the same sticks in friends pc whos running an intel i7700k and it worked just fine with a full 16gb. I should also say that if I start the pc with one of the ram sticks only it boots up, but if I try the other one, nothing loads up on the screen.
Here are the stats; https://imgur.com/a/qFjt3PY

Solution
Ok, so I have something for you to try:
1.Go to msconfig (msconfig.exe)
2.In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
3.Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK
4.Restart the computer
If that too dosent work...try updating the bios
Also check the bios settings
Enable the memory remapping feature, or,
Change the AGP video aperture size in the BIOS settings...
Also make sure that the memory arrangement is correct...
If that too dosent work...PM me for more details
Best of luck

speedchampion2004

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018
Your second ram stick is clearly faulty. since nothing is loading up on the second one, this clearly means that your PC isn't complete as the ram isn't working. Did you buy the ram from some 3rd party place like kijiji or any buy or sell place? and just for your knowledge, your pc would never reserve an entire 8 gigs from you. So your title is kind of misleading. Systems would reserve like 0.10gigs out of 4, 8, or 16 gigs alike.

Sep 15, 2018

I mean, I tested out the sticks on my friends pc as I said and they worked perfectly fine, I could see why one of them would be faulty but kind of odd that it works just fine on another rig. I bought it on amazon but sold by corsair. and from what I can tell, yes it is reserving a full 8.1 gigs from me, task manager->performance->open resource monitor->memory tab-> 8245MB Hardware Reserved (in grey)

https://imgur.com/a/RuHoOp1

speedchampion2004

Commendable
Aug 27, 2018

my hardware reserve is 44Mb. i have no idea what to say other than to check each ram stick again but on different slots size it may be your motherboard since it worked with your friends.

There are sometimes where a picture being a thousand words can help. So that you and the community is on the same page can you please post a screenshot or a link to your Resource Monitor?
resourcemonitorram0922.jpg

I do see that it says 16GB(16384MB) but you say here's the stats so I assume those are reported from your PC. What did I miss?

Otherwise I'm leaning towards a bad slot on your motherboard.
but if I try the other one, nothing loads up on the screen.
says you only have 2 slots. A new motherboard may be in order. If it's under 3 years old you might try starting an RMA request with its manufacturer.

The simplest explanation is that you are seeing Windows' prediction service(not a real name) in action. Windows anticipates your needs based on past behavior leading to a more seamless experience. However if that RAM is needed in real time then Windows allocates it as necessary.

What does nothing seems to work mean?

Jul 20, 2018
Ok, so I have something for you to try:
1.Go to msconfig (msconfig.exe)
2.In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
3.Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK
4.Restart the computer
If that too dosent work...try updating the bios
Also check the bios settings
Enable the memory remapping feature, or,
Change the AGP video aperture size in the BIOS settings...
Also make sure that the memory arrangement is correct...
If that too dosent work...PM me for more details
Best of luck

Solution