[SOLVED] RAM keeps going bad

Mar 9, 2023
I created my pc around 3 years ago and everything worked fine until I decided to use the automatic XMP profile in the BIOS around a month ago. It worked well for a couple of weeks but eventually, the ram went bad and memtest86 results showed errors. I purchased new ram and followed the manufacturer's XMP Profile settings, and after a few weeks, my system began crashing and memtest86 showed errors again. I also tested the RAM individually and both gave errors in memtest86. Is the XMP profile in my bios not working properly killing the ram, or is the CPU, motherboard, or PSU killing it?

Specs
Motherboard: Asrock B550 phantom gaming itx/ax
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (original) / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200 (new)
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3
PSU: SilverStone 650W Gold

Solution
Just realized the new ram is actually 3600 mhz as well. I didn't realize the CPU could only support up to 3200 mhz so when they were SDP they ran fine but when I enabled XMP they were not compatible with the CPU. I can't believe I overlooked that, thank you so much!

That very well could be where the problems come in. While you can technically push past that CPU limit, you also run the risk of dealing with memory problems like you described. I would highly recommend picking up that same kit but in 3200 speed. You will have absolutely no problems reaching that speed as it is fully compatible, and the latency+timings of that kit are quite good as well..

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

As for your ram, maybe try and see if you can manually input the timings, frequency and voltage into BIOS?

I'd be doubtful of your PSU since people with a slightly higher unit have also faced some issues with their build while running an RTX3080. Maybe see if you can source a higher wattage PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built unit to see if your unit is on it's way out.

Mar 9, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

As for your ram, maybe try and see if you can manually input the timings, frequency and voltage into BIOS?

I'd be doubtful of your PSU since people with a slightly higher unit have also faced some issues with their build while running an RTX3080. Maybe see if you can source a higher wattage PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built unit to see if your unit is on it's way out.

BIOS version is P1.80

I can try setting the voltage and timing manually, but both the default and XMP settings result in memtest86 errors so I'm afraid the ram might have been damaged or something.

Mar 9, 2023
https://pg.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550 Phantom Gaming-ITXax/index.asp#BIOS
Yu have BIOS updates pending. Skip to L2.61 and then clear CMOS once you've verified that the BIOS has been updated successfully. As for your ram, see if adding more voltage to 1.35v changes anything but I meant manually inputting timings, frequency and voltage in BIOS, without enabling X.M.P.

I've updated my BIOS to L2.61 and cleared CMOS. I tried manually setting all of the timing and frequency and voltage but still get memtest86 errors. I noticed when I have the correct timings in I get more errors than when I just use the default non-XMP settings.

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps try and work with your older kit of ram? Can you take the ram kits and drop them into a donor(friend's or neighbor's) motherboard to see if the issue persists there as well? If not, it might be a memory controller issue or your motherboard. If the issue persists on the donor platform, then the rams might very well be faulty/failing. Then again, that PSU isn't supposed to be powering your build with that RTX3080 in there.

PSU: SilverStone 650W Gold
Model for your particular Silverstone PSU? 650W is the advertised wattage for the unit while Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating of the unit.

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
I've updated my BIOS to L2.61 and cleared CMOS. I tried manually setting all of the timing and frequency and voltage but still get memtest86 errors. I noticed when I have the correct timings in I get more errors than when I just use the default non-XMP settings.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your wording, but if you're getting memtest errors on the default JEDEC SPD profile (non XMP) then you need to RMA the memory. There should be 0 errors without XMP enabled.

The old RAM did technically exceed the memory frequency limit of your processor, but with the new memory being 3200MT it is within specification.. The new memory is also listed as compatible in your motherboard's memory QVL.

Have you double checked that the XMP profile is inputting the correct timings in your BIOS when enabled? It should be set at 16-18-18-38 @ 1.35v. Leave all other values on auto.

Mar 9, 2023
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your wording, but if you're getting memtest errors on the default JEDEC SPD profile (non XMP) then you need to RMA the memory. There should be 0 errors without XMP enabled.

The old RAM did technically exceed the memory frequency limit of your processor, but with the new memory being 3200MT it is within specification.. The new memory is also listed as compatible in your motherboard's memory QVL.

Have you double checked that the XMP profile is inputting the correct timings in your BIOS when enabled? It should be set at 16-18-18-38 @ 1.35v. Leave all other values on auto.

Just realized the new ram is actually 3600 mhz as well. I didn't realize the CPU could only support up to 3200 mhz so when they were SDP they ran fine but when I enabled XMP they were not compatible with the CPU. I can't believe I overlooked that, thank you so much!

p46

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019

That very well could be where the problems come in. While you can technically push past that CPU limit, you also run the risk of dealing with memory problems like you described. I would highly recommend picking up that same kit but in 3200 speed. You will have absolutely no problems reaching that speed as it is fully compatible, and the latency+timings of that kit are quite good as well..

Solution